PG Music Home
Posted By: Angelomusic Stella by Starlight - 11/18/21 07:29 AM
Hi all,
I've used BIAB to generate a jazz funk backing track using the Stella by Starlight chords.
Style used : SJAZC2S.STY
Here it is : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiB8dBt7Wgs
Posted By: Dzjang Re: Stella by Starlight - 11/21/21 12:40 PM
Great timing, cool arpeggios, nice sound.

Shows that you don’t need all the bebop clichés to play a great solo. You did a wonderful job here, no showing off, just good timing and relaxed playing.

Too bad the tuning of the guitar is somewhat off.
Posted By: Angelomusic Re: Stella by Starlight - 11/22/21 08:43 AM
Hello Dzjang,

Thank you for your message! I'm happy to read that you enjoyed the tune and don't react like some jazz snobs to whom a standard has to be played with a str8 jazz groove and with certain (cliché) lines. Thanks!

You made a right comment about the tuning. I always tune my guitar before playing/recording. But oddly enough, after I posted the video I saw that my D string was still not perfectly tuned frown (the other a bit but the D one was the most clear have been detuned).
This is an old Fender Mustang 1966 (my usual guitar is a more modern yellow Ibanez), so lesson learnt and next time I will TRIPLE check (lol) that the tuning is right on for all the strings.
Cheers!
Posted By: Gordon Scott Re: Stella by Starlight - 11/22/21 09:42 AM
Anyone who says a song "has to be played" a certain way is, IMHO, missing part of the point of music, other than, perhaps, to assure that the band all have a common view for a rational performance. Music should (must?) be open to interpretation or it will atrophy. Even orchestral works, though there's less room then for interpretation, but consider "A fifth of Beethoven" or "Nut Rocker".
Posted By: Angelomusic Re: Stella by Starlight - 11/22/21 12:18 PM
Originally Posted By: Gordon Scott
Anyone who says a song "has to be played" a certain way is, IMHO, missing part of the point of music, other than, perhaps, to assure that the band all have a common view for a rational performance. Music should (must?) be open to interpretation or it will atrophy. Even orchestral works, though there's less room then for interpretation, but consider "A fifth of Beethoven" or "Nut Rocker".

Totally agreeing with you Scott. But you know who the biggest snobs are ? Jazz players. And I learnt it along the way. This is a shame to me because music is music and as much as I believe in styles I also believe in not having our mental stuck with patterns and clichés. This is anti musical.
Posted By: Gordon Scott Re: Stella by Starlight - 11/22/21 01:48 PM
Originally Posted By: Angelomusic
But you know who the biggest snobs are ? Jazz players.

Only some of them.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Stella by Starlight - 11/23/21 07:05 AM
A very neat improvisation.

Great articulation, and an interesting delivery.
Posted By: Angelomusic Re: Stella by Starlight - 11/28/21 07:18 AM
Thank you so much for your support! smile
© PG Music Forums