PG Music Home
Posted By: pghboemike The improve tour Adam neely - 01/14/22 08:53 AM
Posted By: DrDan Re: The improve tour Adam neely - 01/15/22 11:54 AM
"If composing is improvisation in slow motion.... then improvisation is composing in real time"

This was a very interesting video. No pre-planing of the play set. A testimony to the musicality of the group. But I wonder how the audience received it or appreciated it. I don't see that mentioned in the video. But I enjoyed what I heard and saw. grin
Posted By: Gordon Scott Re: The improve tour Adam neely - 01/15/22 02:41 PM
Quote:
".... then improvisation is composing in real time"

It is ... sometimes it goes well, sometimes not so much.

Another conversation between them was around hearing each other when playing and that can be a real problem sometimes. If you can't hear the other musicians properly it gets tricky to avoid clashing or trampling.

When playing to an audience, one has to remember that the audience have usually paid good money to see and hear us, so the risks are turned down a bit with some planning like known numbers in stated keys, who'll do solos and when, but sometimes if things are flowwing well, it may be that one musician turns to another and raises eyebrows, the other nods, and they hand over the solo.

I love the totally spontaneous stuff when it works; somebody's noodling around, someone else picks up a riff and it grows. We don't normally risk that with an audience ... which may be a shame.

Edit: I enjoyed what I heard. Good.
© PG Music Forums