PG Music Home
Posted By: harryt8 Orange Blossom Special - 01/03/21 05:51 AM
I would like to make my own backing track for "Orange Blossom Special".
Can anyone advise a suitable Style.
I have BIAB 2021 Ultra PAK, but can't see anything suitable.
I have found via YouTube this backing track which sounds like it was created by BIAB.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT1byrpdBeE
Any thoughts or advice..?
Thank you.
John
Posted By: Mike Head Re: Orange Blossom Special - 01/03/21 09:20 PM
Hi John
Just go to style picker and type orange into the search box top right of screen.
This will come up with bluegrass styles for that song.
Listed from top to bottom, from most suitable.
You may well not agree with the top choice so try a few from the list

Mike
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Orange Blossom Special - 01/03/21 09:51 PM
This is what Mike's talking about.

Attached picture Clipboard01.png
Posted By: harryt8 Re: Orange Blossom Special - 01/04/21 01:48 AM
Thank you gentlemen.
This advice will get me started.
Cheers.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Orange Blossom Special - 01/04/21 02:42 AM
If you can't find something that works you can go through the individual instruments and drums and create up what you need.
Posted By: fiddler2007 Re: Orange Blossom Special - 01/04/21 05:20 AM
Been playing old-time and Bluegrass during quite a long time with various bands, and always wondered why one dares to call a style like highlighted in the OP bluegrass.
IMO that absolutely ain't no bluegrass, it has a drumtrack LoL.
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Orange Blossom Special - 01/04/21 11:38 AM
Kind of what is called newgrass
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Orange Blossom Special - 01/10/21 10:51 AM
Newgrass is 50 years old smile

Decide on your tempo, pick your choice of bluegrass RTs that fit the tempo and enter your chords. Voila.

Bud
Posted By: mrgeeze Re: Orange Blossom Special - 01/10/21 03:26 PM
How many bluegrass musicians does it take to change a lightbulb?
5. One to do it and 4 to sit and argue whether Bill Monroe would have done it that way.

The Seldom Scene, creators of contemporary bluegrass, used a drummer on their records back in the 1980's.
While you'd certainly never see a drummer in the BlueGrass Boys, they do exist in bluegrass
The Seldom Scene also had a pedal steel on occasion. Sometimes Linda Ronstadt and Emmylou Harris sang in that band. But those were special nights decades ago.

Many of the NewGrass players (Grisman,Rice, etc) typically do NOT have a drummer in their band.
Admittedly Jerry Douglas Band and BF & FLecktones have drummers, but I'm not sure either of those is really NewGrass.
There you go.

OBS is a pretty straight ahead bluegrass tune. You should find something in BIAB.

As far as newgrass styles in BIAB, I have been pretty disappointed.
I've been working on a few newgrass tunes (EMD, Devlin, Manzanita) without any real success with BIAB styles.
I have found nothing in the way of midi files for these tunes either.

I have created a few backing tracks for some Flecktones Songs (Flight of the Cosmic Hippo, Sinister Minister, Big Country).
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Orange Blossom Special - 01/10/21 07:29 PM
It takes five. One to screw in the bulb and four to complain that it’s electric.

I would suggest that the Country Gentlemen would be better candidates than The Seldom Scene. The Gentleman were not invited to early festivals doe to their progressive set lists.

Jimmy Martin and The Osborne brothers used a snare drum at times.

All FWIW!

Bud
Posted By: mrgeeze Re: Orange Blossom Special - 01/11/21 01:29 PM
Janice and Bud,

Right you are.
The Gents were certainly there when Bluegrass started meandering a bit.
Lots of mixed DNA in those two bands
2 of the 4 earliest members of the Gents were in the Scene (Duffey,Gray).
3 of the 4 founders of the Scene played in the Gents (Gray,Duffey,Auldrige).

To Me, Charlie Waller was one of the great folk singers of his generation.
The Gents played a lot of bluegrass but Charlie seemed to shine to shine on the less traditional stuff.
Among many, his rendition of Kristofferson's "Darby's Castle" stays with me till today

And the Gents Acapella version of "Foggy Mountain Breakdown" was something to behold live on stage.
Definitely an alternative approach to this bluegrass classic.

Good catch on the Osborne Bros.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Orange Blossom Special - 01/11/21 09:15 PM
Mike and I were friends. I wrote an article about him for Pickin’ Magazine and photographically covered several bluegrass award shows for Muleskinner News when the Scene were winning everything. Had the honor of jamming with him several times and we stayed in touch. He was the consummate good guy and I really miss him.

We both completely agree with you regarding Charlie. A vocalist who truly deserved way more attention than he got ... but that was before the Americana days.

I could go on about those days but I’ve already hijacked the thread so I’ll retire. smile

Good chatting with you.

Bud
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Orange Blossom Special - 01/11/21 09:47 PM
Shetland fiddling champion, Gemma Donald, plays Orange Blossom Special as you've never heard it. She features a lot of "bow rockin'" that she excels at.

I uploaded her version some months ago. I'll try to find it and add the link here.
© PG Music Forums