PG Music Home
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Short Domra 1 minute Pop User Track - 03/03/21 12:01 AM
Hi Folks.
My mother in law who is a terrific musician was visiting us last week and I decided to give a shot of creating a rudimental User Track featuring her main instrument, Domra. This test drive was long due and got severely delayed because of pandemic. In any case, this was just a first basic attempt to try an do it from start to finish. I have assembled one in the past, but it was professionally recorded and pipeline helped me too. If you are interested in knowing more about the instrument, here is a wiki page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domra

My mother-in-law is listed as a leading performer. I am very proud of her.

Here is a a link to UserTrack, it works with most Ev feel, 4/4 tracks:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dmz1e92pezgrtx8/Domra.zip?dl=0

P.S. Please do not judge harshly, as I consider this a basic test run rather than something finished,
just to see if I can assemble it without outside help. Constructive feedback is welcomed!
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Short Domra 1 minute Pop User Track - 03/03/21 01:37 PM
Hi Misha,

I downloaded the compressed file. To my ears the sound is similar to plucked mandolin chords.

Thanks to you for your interest in developing UserTracks and to your Mother-in-Law for her recording session work.

Here are some housekeeping suggestions for your consideration regarding the labeling of UserTracks files and folders.

Since the folder label is also the UserTracks name it is helpful to include extra identifying information in the folder label. PG Music examples include additional information like feel (Ev8 for even eighth notes, Ev16 for even sixteenth notes or Sw8 or Sw16 for swing) and tempo. Time signature is optional and normally not provided unless the time signature is Waltz time (3/4 time).

Including feel, tempo and, when useful, time signature in the UserTracks folder label helps the song creator determine if the UserTrack is compatible with a song project. The folder label also displays as the instrument patch name in the mixer track. Finally, the additional information helps separate multiple UserTracks of the same instrument.

You've labeled your test UserTracks folder "Dorma". Following the suggestions above I've relabeled my copy of the UserTrack folder as "Dorma Ev8 100". If this test was in Waltz time I would have labeled my copy of the UserTrack folder as "Dorma Ev8 100 34".

I appreciate you labeled both the audio and song files "Dorma". That makes it easy to add additional audio content later.

One concern is the chords in the Dorma audio file do not match the chords displayed in the Dorma song file. The audio file sounds like your Mother-in-Law is playing a chord progression up the neck. The chords displayed in the song file chord chart are different.
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Short Domra 1 minute Pop User Track - 03/03/21 10:29 PM
Jim...
This is actually exact reason I posted it smile
Thank you for extensive reply! Domra is very close to mandolin in sound, a bit more woody.
This was just a meticulous test run. Different chords played from User Track 1 minute pop template PDF?
I have to recheck it.

M.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Short Domra 1 minute Pop User Track - 05/30/21 11:12 AM
Hi Rusty,

Is the link still available?

I tried but got a 'not found' result.
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Short Domra 1 minute Pop User Track - 06/02/21 09:51 PM
VT,
Dropbox is acting up. Will try to fix it later.
© PG Music Forums