PG Music Home
Posted By: steelpix Country Texas 4-4 bass shuffle needed - 05/06/16 11:37 AM
Many steel guitarist are trying to use BIB for the Texas 4-4 shuffle walking bass line. 4 bass noted to a bar. I just got BIB 2016 Megapak but can't find a way to do that old Country Texas shuffle. Here is an example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt9FWu5pRZ0
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Country Texas 4-4 bass shuffle needed - 05/07/16 01:49 PM
++ BiaB thread on The Steel Guitar Forum ++ has a custom Ray Price midi style that was designed to work with Texas Swing.

The style has drums with 16th note high-hat, kick on every 1/4 note and side stick on alternate beats. There are four walking bass patterns including the triplet turnaround made famous by Buddy Emmons (who was an inventive and notable bass player in addition to being famous as a pedal steel player).

They ask for a $5 donation which is used to help maintain the web site.

The site also has links to many, many BiaB song files steel guitar players like to use for practice.

Excellent site for steel players to know about.

Also you may want to add some RealTracks to your MegaPak. RealTrack sets 140, 157, 167 and 170 all have Texas Swing bass tracks.
Posted By: steelpix Re: Country Texas 4-4 bass shuffle needed - 05/07/16 04:46 PM
Thx Jim. I had already downloaded those files from the Steel Forum. The issue is being that they are midi and not realtracs, they have that toy sound.

Its suprising that PG music hasn't done those Texas 4-4 shuffles yet being that they are very popular in Country Music.

James Baron emailed me to let me know he is working on a USERtrack that will be real sounds and hope to have them done in about a week.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Country Texas 4-4 bass shuffle needed - 05/07/16 11:53 PM
steelpix,

The first post I forgot to tell you welcome to the forum so WELCOME!

That's good to read that some new UserTracks are being developed. Thanks for sharing the information.

It's nice to know you're aware of the Steel Guitar forum. As you can tell I think that forum has great members and it does a nice job too.

You mentioned you don't like midi because of the toy sound. Midi makes no sound. Midi is a set of commands that tell a sound module what sounds to play and how to play the sound. Midi is better compared to sheet music than an instrument. A VSTi or sound module generates the instrument sound.

You may enjoy using midi better if you use a different VST or sound module. I am very satisfied with the Hi-Q instrument sounds PG Music provides. PG Music also offers Cakewalk Music Creator which includes the TTS-1 virtual sound module as well as drums, electric bass, strings and piano sound modules, as well as a loop library for $40. PG Music also offers a second virtual sound module called Coyote Forte.

My point is a small investment can enable a huge upgrade in your sound.
Originally Posted By: steelpix
Thx Jim. I had already downloaded those files from the Steel Forum. The issue is being that they are midi and not realtracs, they have that toy sound.

Its suprising that PG music hasn't done those Texas 4-4 shuffles yet being that they are very popular in Country Music.

James Baron emailed me to let me know he is working on a USERtrack that will be real sounds and hope to have them done in about a week.

These recent remarks by Noel96 from a similar discussion about styles may be useful.

"Even though some of these odd time signatures are midi-only templates, once they are loaded into BIAB or Realband, they set the chord sheet template and Realtracks can be added and will be generated according to the time signature. (Some of these generations will sound better than others - it will depend on the Realtrack.)"

I often find out-of-genre instruments to be a perfect fit for my project.
Posted By: T9cStudio Re: Country Texas 4-4 bass shuffle needed - 05/11/16 09:56 PM
What if you selected one of the shuffles and wrote 4 chords with bass notes per bar? Would that make the bass play on the 4's? You'd have to know which notes to assign, though. If you had a guitar or bass you could work it out.

A lot of those Price/Bush shuffles have bass on 2 for the verse and walk it on the chorus,
I think the kick on all fours sounds too Waylonish to shuffle.
© PG Music Forums