PG Music Home
Posted By: WRR Chord entry on 3/4 time..... - 08/07/16 08:35 AM
Newbie here, so bear with me!!

I have a song in 3/4 time, with several measures that require 4 different chords within.....one measure......

First chord 1.5 time (dotted quarter note)
Second chord .5 time (eighth note)
Third chord .75 time (dotted eighth note)
Fourth chord .25 time (sixteenth note)

Is this type of cord entry possible?

Thanks for any and all help!!
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Chord entry on 3/4 time..... - 08/07/16 10:47 AM
The first bar of your song must be 3/4 time. After that, use the F5 key to open song settings and change individual bars to 4 beats where necessary. Then when the bar needs to again be 3 beats, use F5 to change the beats to 3.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Chord entry on 3/4 time..... - 08/07/16 11:06 AM
Welcome to the forum!

Charlie is right to a point but he failed to mention another point when using mixed time signatures.

When playing a song with dual time signatures you MUST start with 4/4 time in order for Band-in-a-Box (BiaB) to interpet the time signature changes correctly.

When you want a song to start in 3/4 time, begin the song with a 4/4 measure; a "dummy" measure. If the song is 3/4 throughout the song then the song can begin with a 3/4 measure.

Also your questions will be seen by more people if you ask them in the Band-in-a-Box part of the forum. This section is about another feature, UserTracks.
Posted By: jford Re: Chord entry on 3/4 time..... - 08/08/16 01:32 PM
Quote:
I have a song in 3/4 time, with several measures that require 4 different chords within.....one measure......

First chord 1.5 time (dotted quarter note)
Second chord .5 time (eighth note)
Third chord .75 time (dotted eighth note)
Fourth chord .25 time (sixteenth note)

What Charlie and Jim said, but to your question.

In 3/4 time (based on using a waltz-type style; that doesn't mean the song is a waltz, just that BIAB calls 3/4 songs waltz-style), you can only enter 3 chords per measure. You can then push any of those three chords either an sixteenth note or an eighth note only to the left (not to the right). You can also push the first beat/chord of the following bar into the previous bar, but then you can't do anything in that bar until the second beat.

So, if you enter your first chord on the first beat, since it's a dotted quarter, then you go past the 2nd beat to the last half of that beat, which means you can't use a chord on beat two, since you can only push to the left. So at that point, the best you can do is push the chord on beat 3 to play on beat 2.5 (which is where your second chord it. Since you've already used the chord on beat three for the push, you now longer have it available to play the third chord (which starts on beat three), and you can't push the chord from the next bar to the third beat of the previous bar; you can only push it an 8th.

So, yes that's a long-winded way of saying you can't do what you are trying to do. The answer is unfortunately, NO.
Posted By: WRR Re: Chord entry on 3/4 time..... - 08/08/16 04:28 PM
Thanks John, for taking the time to look at the timing of the song I was dealing with.

You saved me a lot of time.......not to mention the frustration!!!!
© PG Music Forums