PG Music Home
Posted By: ronhawker Guitar screen feature request - 01/08/18 02:04 PM
I think you could really expand the use of the guitar fretboard screen if you would allow the user to set the mode displayed on the fretboard. You could then see how the modes are used in playing. As far as I can tell you do allow either aoelian or phyrgian modes to be selected. By allowing others to be selected you could used those to help write music for those of us not fully trained. They could also be used for practice and learning modes, scales etc.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Guitar screen feature request - 01/08/18 05:07 PM
Question to clarify your wishlist request,

When you mention allowing more and different "modes" do you mean allowing the fretboard to show more string tunings with each tuning based on a different musical scale? I don't understand exactly what you mean by mode.
Posted By: ronhawker Re: Guitar screen feature request - 01/08/18 06:51 PM
I believe that is another name for scale tone. In my limited knowledge the aeolian scale tone is like a minor mode or minor scale tone. I would also like to have the option of others like the minor pentatonic or the mixolydian scales for a key by position.

Sure I am off technically...
Posted By: Datsyuk Re: Guitar screen feature request - 01/02/22 04:20 PM
Ron is referring to all of the scales (called modes) which are built off each scale degree of their related parent scale. (chord scales)

i.e. In the key of C major. The parent mode is C Ionian (this being the modal name for a major scale). Playing the same notes as are in C major....but starting on the second note...."D"....and going from D up to D....would be called " D Dorian" (the second "mode" of major). E to E is Phrygian, F to F is F Lydian mode. G to G is G Mixolydian mode, A to A is A Aeolian mode....and the scale generated from B to B is B Locrian.

So he's asking about the ability for BIAB to identify all of the chord scales / modes....being used at any given time over any given chord / chords.

(I think... lol....I'm new to BIAB....and I see that you are going out of your way to relentlessly help people out with their questions...very cool of you Jim!!
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Guitar screen feature request - 01/02/22 04:54 PM
Datsyuk, Thank you for the compliment and welcome to the forum!

Also, this post might get more views and comments if posted in the +++ Band-in-a-Box Wishlist +++ section.

+1

The fretboard includes two scales and a button to toggle between them. Why not add the other scales.

Description: Fretboard Settings - Enable scales highlighted
Attached picture Clipboard02 Fretboard Settings.jpg

Description: Fretboard - Toggle Scale Highlighted
Attached picture Clipboard02 Fretboard Scale Toggle.jpg
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Guitar screen feature request - 02/09/22 07:17 PM
Here you go Jim. Modes with common name of the scale they create. This is one of those theory things that people know but don't know that they know.

Posted By: edshaw Re: Guitar screen feature request - 09/19/22 09:16 PM
Here's a mode study I been working on for a while. Still finding mistakes.

https://www.webdirectory21.com/course/modes/index.htm

Wouldn't it be easier to play by the note letters?
© PG Music Forums