PG Music Home
Posted By: drutgat Tabla Tracks - 10/09/18 04:50 PM
Hi,
I am about to purchase BIAB, and I have been told on the forums that there is no Tabla Real Track.

It would be great to have Real Track Tabla parts.

Tabla is from North Indian (Hindustani) Classical Music, and I know very little about South Indian (Karnatic / Carnatic) Classical Music, but you might want to sample some of those percussion (and other instruments, too). For example a 'drum' used in Carnatic music is called a Mridangam.

If you go ahead with this suggestion, I would add that recording the basic Thekas would be a good idea (characteristic, 'template'-like ways of playing for the equivalent of a time signature. Like playing a generic four-on-the-floor drum pattern to illustrate an example of a 4/4 time signature).

For example, one of the ways of playing the theka for for Jhaptaal (10 beats) is:
(O = diminished or no emphasis; / = emphasis on the beat.The theka is played as two groups of 5)

/
1 2 3 4 5

O /
6 7 8 9 10

It is difficult to explain how these sound unless you are acquainted with playing the music (because, even if you do not play Tabla, your early lessons have you singing/reciting the sound of each 'beat' played by the Tabla - mnemonics, really).

The most popular Talas (Taals) are the following, but there are many, many more:

Tintal (Teentaal, Tintala) - 16 bols (beats)

Rupaktal - 7 beats

Jhaptal - 10 beats

Ektal - 12 beats

Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Tabla Tracks - 10/09/18 09:16 PM
Excellent post that was well thought out.

Typically forum members indicate support for an idea by posting a +1. I'm reluctant to support your wishlist for two reasons, I'm not familiar with eastern music or with the instrument and although you mention RealTracks you posted your message in the UserTracks wishlist.

May I suggest you resubmit your request +++ HERE +++. That way more eyes will see it so more people can discuss the merits of the idea or ask for clarification as needed. Of course that also offers more opportunity to support the idea.
Posted By: drutgat Re: Tabla Tracks - 10/10/18 12:14 AM
Thanks for that, Jim.

And thanks for letting me know that this is in the wrong forum - I will move it.

I am sure that you have heard the tabla, but just do not know it. You will recognize it when you hear it. I would suggest having a quick google and listening to some.

Thanks again.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Tabla Tracks - 10/10/18 09:58 PM
Yep. I researched it some and found it's used in some of the George Harrison Beatles songs like "I'm Only Sleeping".
© PG Music Forums