PG Music Home
Posted By: Rain1 ride cymbal funk swing around 85 bpm - 04/06/19 04:45 PM
Hello
has anyone found, or made, a drum real track style that has a predominant ride cymbal on every quaver for a slightly swing funk style about 85, please?
thanks
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: ride cymbal funk swing around 85 bpm - 04/06/19 06:04 PM
What's a quaver, do you mean 1/16th note?
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: ride cymbal funk swing around 85 bpm - 04/06/19 06:19 PM
Assuming you do mean 1/16ths ride hits this might work: FunkyGroovin70s^ variations 3b and 5b
Posted By: Rain1 Re: ride cymbal funk swing around 85 bpm - 04/07/19 05:35 AM
thanks - that exactly the feel, but I want to hear 'ding ding ding' on the ride cymbal doing eighth notes as well, if possible. (I can record it myself of course, but just wondered if it is in a style)
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: ride cymbal funk swing around 85 bpm - 04/07/19 07:16 PM
Rain1,

Great! I'm glad my guess was close. I based my guess using the DrumPicker and filtered the selections using the genre you provided as a filter.

The DrumPicker is available by using the mouse cursor to select the RealDrums icon in the Tracks control bar. See the top screen shot.

Once opened, I entered "funk" in the filter window and used the mouse cursor to press the update button to narrow the available choices. See the bottom screen shot.

Then it is just highlighting each choice, paying attention to the variation notes and playing the demos.

Your last post indicates the feel of my guess works so you may want to try some of the other variations of this RealDrum. Also note that if you try other RealDrums selections you'll likely want to stick with those with SW (SWING) in the column that has the * in the column header. * means I clicked on the column header to sort the filtered selections by that column.

Attached picture Clipboard01.jpg
Attached picture Clipboard02.jpg
Posted By: Rain1 Re: ride cymbal funk swing around 85 bpm - 04/08/19 06:07 AM
brilliant, thanks Jim, that's a great help smile
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: ride cymbal funk swing around 85 bpm - 04/08/19 04:18 PM
I'm glad to assist. I'm looking forward to having the opportunity to hear your song project.
Originally Posted By: Rain1
Hello
has anyone found, or made, a drum real track style that has a predominant ride cymbal on every quaver for a slightly swing funk style about 85, please?
thanks

Ohhhhh, I LOVE THIS SOUND and I got the exact beat for you fam!

I spend hours at work (I work from home) dragging a playlist of dozens of RD tracks straight from the RealDrum folder into a playlist in my media player, which I play in the background while work, and when something REALLY hits my ear, I take a screencap of it so I can refer back to it later.

As of right now, I've only heard ONE variation, of ONE sub-style, of ONE beat that captures that sound PERFECTLY (although I haven't listened to EVERY track so don't take this as gospel...I'm sure there are quite a few more).

You ready for it?

It's SouthernPopNeoSoulsw16^ variation 3; substyle b (don'y forget the b substyle bit, because substyle "A" of variation 3 is something totally different (A is hat,snare, and B is ride,snare).

Oh, and the actual track number is 316 (see screenshot)

Editing to add that the recommended tempo range for the track is 60-110, so it's right in your target zone :-)

Attached picture Ride.PNG
Just to add, I checked out the variations/sub-styles referenced by Jim Fogle, and yes, you have the ride playing quarter notes in both those examples. However in those examples the "tings" are placed on the offbeat (the "and-uh" as opposed to the one-e").

While it's definitely a great sound that accentuates the "swing" nature of the rhythm, if, as I'm assuming OP may have been referring to when he said "I want to hear 'ding ding ding' on the ride cymbal doing eighth notes as well, if possible" and assuming OP is looking for that solid ting-ting-ting you can hear in lots of old-school Cypress Hill songs and other late 80s-early 90s Boom Bap songs, the beat I recommend is much more suited IMHO.

I beg you not to take offense Jim! I just thought the difference between the 3 would be helpful to point out... :-)
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: ride cymbal funk swing around 85 bpm - 06/17/19 03:48 PM
DeaconBlues09,

No offense taken. The more suggestions the more opportunities Rain1 has to audibly hear an exact match of what he is seeking.

While both of us are offering selections we believe matches what he wants, Rain1's description was not comprehensive so only Rain1 really knows what he is seeking.

My primary goal was to introduce Rain1 and other users to the DrumPicker and describe a way to use the DrumPicker to narrow selections to audition.
© PG Music Forums