PG Music Home
I want to run Jazz Piano MasterClass from my computer. I have a vista 32 bit OS. The .exe file works fine when in the CD but it does not work from the directory on my hard drive where I copied the CD contents. Does anybody know if there is a solution to this problem?
Files copied from CD will end up as "Read Only" files. Most programs need to Read and also need to Write to some file(s) or other.

To change that you must change the attributes of the copied file from Read Only to Archive. Rightclick on the icon for the entire copied folder and select "Properties", see that it is listed as Read Only and if it is, change it to Archive, then try to run the file.

--Mac
Thanks Mac.

That did not work. I think the problem is due to absolute rather then relative referencing. I got this from PG Tech support the fellow felt that the program is addressing files that it expects from the hard drive. I hope he is wrong! But if he is right then all I can do is put a desktop shortcut to the exe in the CD drive.
PG Tech support should know...

--Mac
Greetings Mac.

There is a FAQ that says how to do this but it did not work for me. I have sent a tech support email on it.

Thanks for trying to help.

Peter
Peter,

I installed JPMC on my Vista with no problems. The source was downloaded rather than supplied on CD. Is there a reason you are copying rather than re-installing on your hard drive?

R
Hello Peter,

You might have a version of the program that was designed to run directly from the CD. You can still copy this to your hard drive. Just create a new folder on your hard drive, and copy the contents of the Data folder on the CD into your new folder. Run the program by double-clicking on PMCLASS.EXE. You can make a shortcut to this file, and install updates from our website, just as if you had installed the program from a newer download.

What probably happened was you copied the entire CD (rather than just the contents of the data folder), and you're double-clicking on the .EXE launcher which was at the root directory of the CD. That won't work.
If you have one of the older versions, the executable to launch is one folder lower than where you expect it. Go to where you copied the files and then go to the "DATA" subdirectory and launch PMCLASS from there. If you launch it from the parent subdirectory, it doesn't work.

Hope this helps.
© PG Music Forums