PG Music Home
Hi forum
I am working with my good old and trusty 'Master Jazz Guitar Solos' program.
Currently it is set up to use the Microsoft GS Wavetable synth but I want to improve that a bit. So I run my Garritan Aria Player standalone application, load instruments, and assign midi in and out to fit my soundcard settings and confirm that I hear it play.
In Master Jazz guitar program I go to Midi pref. Here I assign the same midi drivers and for each instrument assign a channel number that corresponds to where I loaded the instruments in the Aria Player. But I don't hear any sounds.
I have maintained all kind of combinations of settings for Bank MSB and Bank LSB. Still no success.
Audio settings is also set to correspond to sound card settings. Other applications works fine through the soundcard.
Same situation also if I use the 64 bit version of Aria Player

Is it possible at all to use anything else than the Microsoft GS Wavetable synth ?

Specs:
Win 7 64 bit
Sound card EMU 1616

Br Kamilu
If you are looking to redirect to the Aria player (since you can't use VSTi in the Master Jazz Guitar program), you'll need to make sure you have a virtual MIDI cable installed (I use LoopBe). Then you set Master Jazz to use, for example, LoopBe port 1 as the output port, and then on the Aria Player, select LoopBe port 1 as your input port.
Hi John
Thank you for your reply. I believe I already have a connection between Aria Player and MJGS by setting up like this:
MJGS and
Aria Player
But it is apparently not enough.

The drivers are for my EMU soundcard

Br Kamilu
I may be wrong, but I believe that the MIDI ports you are seeing are the hardware ports on your EMu audio/MIDI device. That's not going to help you get MJGS talking to the standalone Aria player. Those ports are to connect hardware MIDI devices to your computer (such as a keyboard or MIDI guitar interface).

When you tell MJGS to use that Port, you are telling it to send it's data out the MIDI cable connected to your Emu MIDI ouput port, or expecting input from from the cable connected to the EMu MIDI input port.

If you install a virtual MIDI cable (such as LoopBE), then everything resides inside your computer, and you can connect software MIDI applications to each other as if they were hardware MIDI devices. So if you install LoopBE, it will show up as an available MIDI port. So then you can tell MJGS to send its MIDI output to LoopBE port 1, then go to Aria player and tell it to receive its MIDI input from LoopBE port 1, which then completes the "virtual cable" circuit and you should be able to hear MJGS play using Aria sounds (as long as you match up the MIDI channels in both).

Don't know if that helps or just creates more confusion.
Hi again
You actually explained it very well, John. I now (finaly) realize what I my attempt to connect the stuff was actualy doing.
So I installed LoopBE and now it works like a charm.
Thanks for pointing my attention to LoopBE.

Br Kamilu
I'm glad it worked out for you, Kamilu. I know sometimes these things can be confusing, as well as exasperating.
© PG Music Forums