PG Music Home
I'm thinking of a MIDI guitar set up that would include the following components. Would appreciate any comments from folks with MIDI guitar experience. Thanks. Here's the set-up:

- Godin Multiac Nylon SA guitar - this guitar has both a 13-pin MIDI out and 1/4" output to an amplifier.
- Roland GI-20 guitar MIDI interface - to attach to the Multiac 13-pin MIDI out, needs a sound module.
- Ketron SD-2 or SD-4 sound module - I am using an SD-2 now, and I really like it.

Any suggestions?
I have a friend that uses the exact setup you have except the guitar. He plays solo jazz 3 nights a week with BIAB. By using the through channel he's able to use the harmony stuff like Shearing etc. to the SD2. Uses a Bose L1 system for sound.
I use a Godin XTSA through a Roland GI 20, which drives 3 digital synths, and also inputs directly to my computer Midi interface for Midi recording using Cubase or RealBand or Musicator. IF you plug your GI20 'midi out' into the SD2 'midi in', and plug the SD2 'midi thru' into your computer midi in, you will be able to record (midi, not audio) using your computer software. You can hear what you're playing by plugging the SD2 audio out into an amp (or your computer audio in). Keep in mind that what your computer records in midi format contains no audio information - only midi 'bits and bytes'. So - if you want to play back from your computer and hear what you created, then you'll have to plug your computer midi out into the midi in of your SD2, since that's where all the audio comes from.

Alternatively, if you want a) to avoid messing with cables, and b) to be able to 'play along' with what you have recorded, then you need to feed your SD2 from both the computer AND your GI20 AT THE SAME TIME - done with a 'midi merger' (two inputs, one output) - Midi Solutions Merger is a $50 anser to that problem. One limitation you'll face in 'pley along' though is that you only have one active voice at a time on the SD2, so what is coming from the recording and what is coming at the same time live from you GI20 have to use the same voice.

I hope I was able to offer some help here - I wasn't entirely sure I understood exactly from your post what you were trying to accomplish.

Cheers...
WD

btw: the 13 pins connection from the Godin to the GI20 is not a Midi interface (midi is a 5 pin DIN) - the 13 pin is specific to Roland GK.
© PG Music Forums