PG Music Home
Posted By: dalemccl Ketron SD2 - fully GM compatible? - 08/11/09 12:53 AM
I posted this a couple days ago in the BIAB for Windows forum, but the message never appeared so I must have done something wrong. I am re-posting and decided it put it here. If it shows up in the BIAB forum eventually, that is why there is a duplicate.

I am considering buying the Ketron SD2 because I want better GM sounds than I have now, especially pianos, drums, and guitars (I'm currently using an old Korg X5DR and some GM soft synths). I read some user reviews that said the SD2 is not completely GM compatible because Ketron decided to maintain backwards compatibility with its older units at the cost of some degree of GM compatibility. These reviewers said some patch numbers and drum mapping is not GM standard. Is this true? How much of a problem does it present with BIAB? Also with GM MIDI files downloaded from the internet that I play in Sonar (I have hundreds of these files, all set up for GM). Are there a lot of differences? Changing patch numbers for the instruments wouldn't be too bad to have to do, but I would not like to have to re-map all the individual key mappings for the drum kits.

Also, does the SD2 fully respond to patch changes and changes of effects parameters when sent from a DAW such as Sonar?

Thanks.
Posted By: Mac Re: Ketron SD2 - fully GM compatible? - 08/11/09 01:18 AM
I don't have any problem playing standard MIDI files designed for GM using the GM bank of my SD2.

--Mac
Posted By: dalemccl Re: Ketron SD2 - fully GM compatible? - 08/11/09 02:16 AM
Thanks, Mac. Are there other banks of sounds besides the GM bank? And do those play well with GM?
Posted By: Mac Re: Ketron SD2 - fully GM compatible? - 08/11/09 04:23 AM
Quote:

Thanks, Mac. Are there other banks of sounds besides the GM bank? And do those play well with GM?

Yes.

Best sounding hardware box for the money. Period.

Buy from pgmusic and there's the 30-day no questions asked policy use that to find out for yourself.

You won't return it unless its broke, it sounds great.

--Mac
Posted By: Shastastan Re: Ketron SD2 - fully GM compatible? - 09/04/09 06:03 PM
Not sure what the url is, but Ketron has a site with demo sounds for the SD2. I listened to those (including one Mac submitted) and I was immediately sold. Yes, it is that much more superior.

Stan
Posted By: Larry Kehl Re: Ketron SD2 - fully GM compatible? - 09/07/09 09:28 PM
MAC

First I really want one of these (maybe an SD 4 – if I can every figure out the actual OPERATING delta over SD 2 not just the fact it has a few more sounds and front panel buttons) but diggin into actual specs I have some unanswered questions maybe you or other users can help:

Unless I missed it - what is the polyphony (128?) less ? or “dynamic” (which means you’ll know limit when/if you hit it) ?

Also it says (TWICE) that it has 32 channels but only one MidI in? I know how multi-channels work on device with USB (e.g., SC8850) but how do you access more than 16 channels using one MIDI port? The manual says nothing about this neither does the Keyboard review article but twice on the product specs and description it mentions 32 channels “Up to 32 MIDI channels can be controlled…”

Posted By: Mac Re: Ketron SD2 - fully GM compatible? - 09/07/09 09:47 PM
Quote:

Unless I missed it - what is the polyphony (128?) less ? or “dynamic” (which means you’ll know limit when/if you hit it) ?

I never found a published spec from Ketron that listed polyphony specifically. Doesn't mean there might not be one somewhere, I just didn't find one. However, I've never run out of notes, not with huge sequences, not on live gigs with hands full of piano, either (grin).

Quote:

Also it says (TWICE) that it has 32 channels but only one MidI in? I know how multi-channels work on device with USB (e.g., SC8850) but how do you access more than 16 channels using one MIDI port? The manual says nothing about this neither does the Keyboard review article but twice on the product specs and description it mentions 32 channels “Up to 32 MIDI channels can be controlled…”

Note-On and Note-Off data can receive SYSEX MIDI channel data at the beginning of the string. Thus you can have MIDI channels one thru thirty two. This does work from within Powertracks and therefore assumably RealBand too, which is the same basic engine shared by each.

The SD4, of course, has two separated MIDI synths inside, one is GM with upper banks available and the other is the "Solo" synth, meant for use in the target accompaniment keyboard that the SD4 is taken from as the RH keyboard. The Solo sounds are actually duplicated in the GM banks, maybe in some upper banks but I have found them all in there, too. So there aren't really that many "new" voices to be found in the SD4, BUT -- the Solo voices are customizable as to layers and effects and are savable to a user bank of 64 for instant recall. I find that more useful in live gigging personally, but the studio cat may find a use for them also.

--Mac
Posted By: Larry Kehl Re: Ketron SD2 - fully GM compatible? - 09/07/09 10:05 PM
Mac – THANKS

That explains it

Now how do I tell my wife that even though I have a Nanosynth and a SC-8850 both of which were suppose to be my "portables", as well as three full workstations and a bunch of rack mounted items (including fully populated XV-5080 and Fantom XRs ) I just GOT TO HAVE this one because it is much BETTER <G>

Larry
© PG Music Forums