PG Music Home
Posted By: ejdecker 3/4 RTs - 05/20/23 05:23 PM
Hey all...
Have looked all over on here & not found this (yet)...

Working in 3 on BIAB so far is a bear.

The world shines brightly in 4, but nearly disappears when a tune's in 3.

I can usually find a couple OK styles to limp by with in 3.

But finding Soloists or Background Tracks to arrange with in 3? OY! That hurts! Hurts BAD.

In Find RTs you get maybe a couple/few possibles to choose from. While the Time Signature Doesn't Match group of soloists on that instrument is a mile long.

Even when painstakingly moving through the few "Waltz" buzzword tracks, often many still won't play correctly. Or the tune's at 85 - 100 & the only possible solo track is at 190. mad

Has ANYONE found a viable workaround for the horrid dearth of soloist or background RTs that'll work really / pretty well in 3/4?

There're simply too many great tunes in 3 to dump merely because of not being supported by PG...

Any assist?
Thanks!
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: 3/4 RTs - 05/20/23 06:03 PM
Could you tell us what genre(s) of music are you looking for, and what level of BIAB did you purchase? Pro, Megapak, Ultrapak?
Posted By: Roger Brown Re: 3/4 RTs - 05/21/23 03:42 PM
Try some of the 6/8 or 12/8 RTs. A lot of them work great for 3/4 songs, you just have to write the chart differently to adapt.

FWIW, the 12/8 thing has always thrown me. I've been doing sessions in Nashville since the early '80s, and the number of times I've seen a song charted in 12/8 is exactly zero. 6/8 and 3/4, absolutely, but never 12/8. It's probably more common in other genres, but in country/red dirt/bluegrass/etc. it's a real head scratcher.
Posted By: ejdecker Re: 3/4 RTs - 05/24/23 08:09 PM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Could you tell us what genre(s) of music are you looking for, and what level of BIAB did you purchase? Pro, Megapak, Ultrapak?

Hi Matt,
Have Ultrapak. Work in jazz, pop, rock, folk, my tastes go pretty far afield. But the core is jazz.

Thx,
E.J.
Posted By: ejdecker Re: 3/4 RTs - 05/24/23 08:12 PM
Originally Posted By: Roger Brown
Try some of the 6/8 or 12/8 RTs. A lot of them work great for 3/4 songs, you just have to write the chart differently to adapt.

FWIW, the 12/8 thing has always thrown me. I've been doing sessions in Nashville since the early '80s, and the number of times I've seen a song charted in 12/8 is exactly zero. 6/8 and 3/4, absolutely, but never 12/8. It's probably more common in other genres, but in country/red dirt/bluegrass/etc. it's a real head scratcher.

Thanks, Roger. I'd agree w/ that -- 12/8 in my experience is mostly for r&b feels & R&R. It's got that instant bounce. Haven't seen that in Country much.

E.J.
Posted By: VladimirS Re: 3/4 RTs - 05/26/23 03:55 AM
Indeed, it is very difficult to find and use suitable tracks in rhythms that are multiples of three.

BTW, great songs, Roger!
Posted By: Roger Brown Re: 3/4 RTs - 05/26/23 12:27 PM
Thanks for the kind words!
© PG Music Forums