PG Music Home
Posted By: Ian Fraser Separate Section Markers and Drum Fills - 02/21/10 07:45 PM
Please separate or create section markers (verse, chorus, bridge etc) from substyle/drumfill indicators.
Logically, section markers for those who use one-chorus song “sketching”, should be in place independently of drum fills added to create rhythmic interest.

IMHO currently adding a section marker line at each drum fill can make for a confusing single chorus chord worksheet.

Fingers crossed. Ian
Posted By: MikeK Re: Separate Section Markers and Drum Fills - 02/24/10 07:37 PM
I, for one, agree with Ian on this one.

Cheers,
Mike
Posted By: jford Re: Separate Section Markers and Drum Fills - 02/24/10 08:29 PM
+1

There are times where I don't want a drum fill just because I changed from A to B and if I'm using markers to sketch out the parts of the song, I don't always want a drum fill going from A to A or B to B.

So I would love to see markers separated from drum fills (at least as an option, perhaps for backwards compatibility). It would also be nice to be able to put a drum fill anywhere you want without necessarily using a section marker.

This might could even lead the way to defined and labeled section parts (Intro, Verse 1, Chorus, Verse 2, Bridge, Ending, etc).
Posted By: alan S. Re: Separate Section Markers and Drum Fills - 02/25/10 02:31 AM
Yes + another 1. Very good points indeed!

Regards

Alan
Posted By: MarioD Re: Separate Section Markers and Drum Fills - 02/25/10 02:09 PM
A BIG +1

Not only would I like to see the drum fills separated from the markers I would also like to set the length of my drum fills to either 1,2,3 or 4 beats long. For instance sometimes just a single beat four 16th notes or two 8th notes are all I want. Just a thought.
Posted By: alan S. Re: Separate Section Markers and Drum Fills - 02/25/10 02:56 PM
Yes to that idea Mario, although I've tried to do this by having a bar of 1.2 or 3 beats at the point where the fill comes in; the displaced extra beat (s) are added immediately afterwards. Makes a mess of reading the sheet and often the drum fills don't seem to work as well.
Jammer pro accomplishes this much better IMO and fills of various lengths have been there since the program first came out in the early 90's!!!

Regards

Alan
A big +1.

-------------------------
Reach for excellence.
This is a very good idea and one I've often wished for.

You might have drum fills sync with Part Markers and you might not.

It would be great to put a drum fill wherever you want AND to choose how many beats that fill would be.

John
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Separate Section Markers and Drum Fills - 02/25/10 10:44 PM
Ditto to wonderful ideas above !
Posted By: critter Re: Separate Section Markers and Drum Fills - 02/26/10 08:34 PM
That's the way it should be! Check out Soundtrek Jammer Pro 6 demo, you can download it and do everything but save songs, but you can write songs just like biab, put chord letters in etc. It only has midi instruments but with outboard gear works great and you can put fills anywhere you want, half measure, full measure, and you can put a fill in any measure one after another or whatever. check it out at: http//www.soundtrek.com
PG Music should check into how easy it works. We could use it here.
Posted By: jford Re: Separate Section Markers and Drum Fills - 02/26/10 08:51 PM
I think PGMusic knows about Jammer - it's been around a long time and several folks on the forum use it in addition BIAB. But it also hasn't been updated (other than a few bug fixes) in a long time and you don't hear from the author on their Yahoo Forum anymore (he used to post quite often). Jammer has its own issues and difficulties, the biggest being that many people (once you get past the basics) don't quite "get it". Also, because of it's architecture you can't share songs and styles like you can with BIAB, without breaking their copyright (because the styles are saved inside the song file, so if you give someone a song, you effectively give them the possibly copyrighted style also).
Posted By: critter Re: Separate Section Markers and Drum Fills - 02/26/10 10:04 PM
I bought jammer about the same time I bought biab, late nineties, and it's true they haven't updated much except for band styles etc. My point was that it's so easy to put drum fills anywhere. I would think that PG could pop that in there pretty easy, but I'm not a computer wiz, and with the realtracks, it might be tricky to throw fills anywhere so it sounds natural. Gee, I think I answered for PG with that last statement, lol. It would be nice if there was a way though.
I really would like to see the ability to mark and make sections, Intro, A B C D etc. then Ending or Tag. Then a box to lay out the song as

Intro
A
B
A
B
C
A
Tag/Ending

With the keyboard available to jump on the fly to the next part. You could also have Af or Axf meaning A with a fill or A x (no) fill.
Bump

Worth keeping near the top. Ian
Posted By: critter Re: Separate Section Markers and Drum Fills - 03/17/10 06:49 AM
Please make drum fills priority one in next update.
"bump"
Just in case no-one has added this to the PG Music To-Do list for the next update or fix.

Ian
Quote:

I really would like to see the ability to mark and make sections, Intro, A B C D etc. then Ending or Tag. Then a box to lay out the song as

Intro
A
B
A
B
C
A
Tag/Ending

With the keyboard available to jump on the fly to the next part. You could also have Af or Axf meaning A with a fill or A x (no) fill.

+1

Also +1 to separating drum fills from substyle markers (Ian's original post).
Quote:

Quote:

Intro
A
B
A
B
C
A
Tag/Ending

+1

Also +1 to separating drum fills from substyle markers (Ian's original post).

ditto
+1
"bump"

18 comments leads me to believe that this topic should be bumped to page 1 again.
Would be nice to see it in the next update.

Cheers - Ian
*bump*

Next Upgrade, Please PG. It's really confusing seeing a one chorus chord page with so many horizontal lines.

Ian
"Bump"

2 years later, I think this is still worth keeping near the top for development.

Separate drum fills from Part Markers OR develop a set of part markers based on common word usage like verse, chorus, bridge etc.

Cheers - Ian
+1
Posted By: jford Re: Separate Section Markers and Drum Fills - 08/25/11 12:52 AM
Yep, happy to +1 this one again.
Posted By: Andy123 Re: Separate Section Markers and Drum Fills - 08/28/11 12:36 PM
I also agree this would be helpful.

However, my own preference from a jazz perspective, would be for some new RD jazz sets (swing and even) with less splashy pre-fills and fills.

(See the many comments on the thread "More Real Drums in Subtle Jazz Style" from a month or so ago.)

At the moment, I reduce the number of pre- and post-fills simply by reducing the number of part-markers - but the outcome is still mainly determined by the style of the RD Track, of course.

I wonder if PG is contemplating new more-subtle Jazz RD's after the previous discussion?

Best to All - Andy
Posted By: furry Re: Separate Section Markers and Drum Fills - 09/04/11 02:15 PM
Agreed. Drum fills CAN help make a great track adn the more variety we have the better. Nothing worse than a drummer who doesn't vary at the end of each 8th bar. One way round id to change style for a couple of bars. Time consuming though and not always possible
© PG Music Forums