PG Music Home
Posted By: frage BIAB 2007 Megapak - 03/29/10 10:40 PM
Hi am completely new to BIAB...

Will I be OK with 2007 or should I consider upgrading it to a later version?

My goal is to use BIAB to create song demos.

Any views really welcome!
Posted By: frage Re: BIAB 2007 Megapak - 03/29/10 11:48 PM
A glance at the thread from a 2010 user requesting a complete rewrite of the program doesn't bode well...

Was 2009 similarly buggy?
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BIAB 2007 Megapak - 03/30/10 12:02 AM
Hi. Welcome to the forum.

Since about 2007, BIAB has had the same basic feature set, but substantial improvements are added each year. Not sure when Real Tracks came in, but upgrading to version 2010 would certainly get you more, and better, Real Tracks. Registered users can upgrade; I don't know how that works in your case, but call PG Music sales and ask.

I don't remember that particular thread, but posts about the rewrite of the program have been a staple on the forum for at least a dozen years. I wouldn't let it bother you. There are valid points to be made, but as long as you can make music with the program, just do that.
Posted By: avatars_the_titletrack Re: BIAB 2007 Megapak - 04/06/10 12:34 PM
hey there, I had BIAB 2007 Pro, now upgraded

as far as differencies between the 2007 and 2010, whatever the 'pak' , I'll say this : it's like day and night. For me, the included Realtracks are worth the new purchase alone, they sound really impressive. I have just upgraded from 2007 to 2010 a couple of days ago. I am actually regretting not having bought the Ultrapluspak instead of the Megapak, but even so it's worth all the money I have spent.

as far as the other user requesting a complete rewrite of the program, I'd say that's rather extreme. While I am no computer expert, no software, as far as know, is devoid of bugs completely. BIAB works well most of the time and once you know how to tackle whatever problem,it will give the results it was intended for; also, the user forum is really good as well, you'll find people who help, rather than in many other companies forum's where you find snotty people who write stupid sarcastic replies and this sort of things. I guess that the difference here is because in the BIAB forums there's more musicians.

All in all , I highly recommend the new version over the old one....if you buy it, you'll see what I mean. Just my personal opinion
Posted By: frage Re: BIAB 2007 Megapak - 04/07/10 10:39 AM
Thank you both for your interesting and helpful replies.

I am looking forward to get started this month with what I have and I'll see where it takes me!

Best regards,
Posted By: avatars_the_titletrack Re: BIAB 2007 Megapak - 04/07/10 03:37 PM
As a matter of fact, I really wanted the Ultrapluspak so I have now sorted this with PG Music , paid the extra, and I will now receive my UPP shipped on hard drive
I could not pass up a whopping 370 Realtracks and 200 Realdrums for a bit more money as I like to write music in a lot of different styles and the Realtracks sound rather inspiring. Just using a single Realtrack on the rhythm section, really add up positively to the playback, you can even add up as many Real instruments as there are tracks.

I don't just work with Realtracks, though, I still work a lot with MIDI, samplers, etc, but having the option to build an entire track and then playing it back within seconds ,with that kind of sounds, it's just too good to pass up, I think.

Just last night, I wrote another arrangement and played it back on Biab 2010 with a Realsax solo in the middle....I could hardly believe it.
It gave me a pretty good idea of how my song would sound with a true sax solo in there ! This is far beyond what any arranger can do,software or hardware.

Like everything else, it's not perfect, so for example you can't change Realtracks within the same song, as you do with MIDI styles, -but-, the results that Realtracks give, well compensate for the understandable limitations. And it will only be a matter of time until PG Music will improve and fine tune his fine product again and go beyond the limitations.
For now, I am just enjoying all the possibilities.
© PG Music Forums