PG Music Home
Posted By: vishnu chord entry - 06/30/11 11:37 PM
to be able to enter a guitar chord from the virtual fretboard...from the ground up, so to speak. any combination of up to six notes.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: chord entry - 06/30/11 11:46 PM
This request comes up regularly, both for guitar and piano.

The question I have about it is, since you want to define your own chord, what would you expect RealTracks to play when it encountered this user-defined chord? No one would have recorded anything to match it, so you would just hear silence plus drums. Or at best, perhaps the program could select the closest match to your chord type that was already defined in BIAB, but then what have you gained?

I can see it working in MIDI, though.
Posted By: vishnu Re: chord entry - 06/30/11 11:50 PM
couldn't seperate single notes be assembled and "played" as a chord?
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: chord entry - 06/30/11 11:57 PM
That would be wonderful. If it were possible, it would solve both your request and the other frequent request: can RealTracks play the melody and soloist parts.

I see this as a ways off, since articulation/volume/velocity/timbre issues would need to be addressed, and especially voice leading. At least your request is clearer to me now. Maybe that will help PG Music.
Posted By: jpettit Re: chord entry - 07/01/11 07:17 AM
Might I suggest that BIAB begin to resolve the chord name as soon as you have 3 notes, and then calculate the variation based on additional notes added in real-time for example CMaj7 , Dsus2, etc and only goes as far as the chords in the standard database. This way Realtracks could use them.

This would also help the guitarist who has a great chord but does not know the name of it.

The MIDI Chord detection input chord finder already work similarly but being able to use a mouse would be good for someone without a MIDI guitar.
© PG Music Forums