PG Music Home
Posted By: clinsl MusicXML and grace notes please! - 10/14/11 04:45 PM
Hi guys,

I would be over the moon if Band in a Box had MusicXML and support for grace notes. The notation interface is second to none (I'm a veteran Finale user who would love to use BIAB for basic note entry) and yet it is missing these basic features. The melody embellisher uses grace notes...why can't the notation window? We don't need to get too fancy with articulation markings or dynamics but grace notes are absolutely essential IMHO.

Furthermore, can a major seventh be written as maj7 instead of Maj7? This is a small issue but Maj7 is not used very much in professional fakebooks or publications. Even an option to edit chord symbols (such as you already can with Nashville and Roman numeral etc.) Again, not a big deal. I suppose one could remap the font.

Finally, the ability to go back into the Audio Chord Wizard and make slight changes to the tempo map would also be a big help. This is a terrific feature btw!

Sorry to be Mr. Sally Stickler but BIAB is a fantastic program with a very bright future. I would like to be a bona fide user but the little things do make a big difference. I own the Oscar Peterson and Modern Jazz Piano programs which are fantastic!

All the best,
CL
Posted By: Jazz2511 Re: MusicXML and grace notes please! - 10/24/11 11:52 PM
I would like to endorse clinsl's request. I have found that BIAB - (if the 'Open midi file' command is used) is far ahead of the big boys in notation (Sibelius and Finale) in intelligently (and automatically) splitting a midi file of a piano performance into right and left hands. I have used BIAB and PowerTracks for the last few years to produce over 200 transcriptions of improvised jazz piano performances, and posted them on Youtube (user name - jazz2511). https://www.youtube.com/user/jazz2511 and on my website http://www.bushgrafts.com

While the transcriptions can be made quite readable on video , particularly with the help of a view of the piano keyboard added, they fall short of the really professional scores that can be produced in Sibelius or Finale - having several voices on the one stave, the ability to show grace notes etc.

It seems that the ability to save notation as MusicXML would bring PG music products into line with these other notation programs so that interchange can occur between programs. Just about all music programs that can produce notation are now able to export/import MusicXML.

I also endorse the request for grace note support.

I really wish ......

Doug
© PG Music Forums