PG Music Home
I would LOVE to be able to change keys during a song.

I work in the Roman Numeral notation most of the time. There are so many songs which do not stay in the same key all the way thru! so it gets very confusing trying to compose in one key in Roman numerals then trying to switch to another key in Roman Numercals, but the RNs are still going to be the same as they were for the original key!

I want to be able to change keys during the song!
Such a good discipline working in roman numerals - bravo! Its one of the excellent features of BIAB that you can simply switch to this i bknow of no other program that makes it so easy.
YOU CAN change to any key in any song very simply and in a few seconds. Once you have a song set up, go to transpose from to, choose how many bars and Bob's your uncle.
Or you can just press F5 and use the "Key Signature Change To" pulldown.
Hi Matt,

I think what the original poster was meaning was the Roman numeral notation uses the original key set in BIAB as the reference for all chords whether or not the key is changed during the course of the song.

For example, consider the progression (set BIAB to key C for the start) C F G7 C7 (now change to key F) F Bb Gm C7 F.

In Roman numerals from a theoretical perspective this is [C:] I IV V7 I7 [F:] I IV IIm, V7, I. In BIAB if the key starts out as C and is then changed to F at the appropriate place (using F5), the Roman numeral notation in BIAB gives [C:] I IV V7 I7 [F:] IV bVII Vm I7 IV.

Hope this information helps the wish list readers at PG Music.

Regards,
Noel
Yes, except for A7, that does help. Thanks, Noel.
LOL! Thanks Matt. All corrected now. I'm not quite sure how that crept in

Noel
This is a little late for this post, this post was made in 2011 and now it's 2020, but I just typed in how to find out what key you sing in in band in a box and this is one of the things that came up. So, a few things crossed my mind; they have made it much easier these days all you have to do is go to bar settings and change the key in that section and change it back wherever you want. I dont know nothing about using roman numerals for this, but it's just a suggestion. I am making this post now because it may help someone along the line. Now onto my original thought you can find out what key you sing in in band in a box by using the tool that helps you chord the son, use a keyboard that has thr screen that shows you what chord you are pressing, or even if you know some chords on the guitare, i go to ultimate guir and look at how to form the chords, then i strum the guitar and make something up to sing just in that chord. I can sing in a varity of different keys though, i am a high tenor; so i can sing in a high key eventhough i talk completely different key for a man. I mostly sing in the key of E, I learned this by using my keyboard that shows me the chords. Yamaha YPT 600 keybord that I purchased over 19 years ago at kmart. Anyway just a few thouts and a not to myself just to remember in case i ever forget.
© PG Music Forums