PG Music Home
Posted By: carpiesong Control of RealTracks guitar solos - 06/14/12 04:26 PM
Hello.

If I import a WAV file of a guitar solo generated by BITB's RealTracks into my studio program, I can manipulate the solo through cutting and pasting notes and changing the pitch of notes in the studio program. This is tedious work for an eight measure guitar solo.

I would love to see a way to manipulate the guitar solo RealTracks generates within the BITB environment.

(MIDI doesn't sound good doing guitar solos)

This would be an amazing addition.

Also, how about the ability to sing the notes to a solo and have the solo generate in the BITB environment?

Just ideas, but they would be amazing.
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Control of RealTracks guitar solos - 06/15/12 02:21 PM
Cool ideas, but i believe we are going back to the same problems as midi notes.

In midi you can have the very best samples of real guitars, but the pitch bends, and slides and other changes are just very difficult to get sounding right at a single note level. If we reduce the RTs to single notes it will still be the same problem, and we will have nothing more than a sampler working. The fact that RT work as they do, is due to the principles of being real live played segments of music.

To take them to the single note level would require being controlled by midi or some other method that just does not work properly.

I hope some day we have a more "customizable" solo program. One idea is to work with other musician's here and share tracks, if you offer things you might get tracks in return.

That or learn to solo. (Wow if only i could) Been workin' on that one for a long time, and still don't got it!
Posted By: Tommyc Re: Control of RealTracks guitar solos - 06/15/12 03:03 PM
I agree with Rob on this one! I had a Sax player play every note on his horn an used them as samples, it was
Posted By: carpiesong Re: Control of RealTracks guitar solos - 06/20/12 01:24 AM
I'm not asking for anything intricate--just some control.

If you go through "soloist" and choose a Realtracks solo, the soloist takes from here and there within the Realtrack. Sometimes, you get a really good product!

I would just like some control of the soloist option.
Posted By: Musica1 Re: Control of RealTracks guitar solos - 06/20/12 04:53 AM
Quote:

Cool ideas, but i believe we are going back to the same problems as midi notes.

In midi you can have the very best samples of real guitars, but the pitch bends, and slides and other changes are just very difficult to get sounding right at a single note level. If we reduce the RTs to single notes it will still be the same problem, and we will have nothing more than a sampler working. The fact that RT work as they do, is due to the principles of being real live played segments of music.

To take them to the single note level would require being controlled by midi or some other method that just does not work properly.

I hope some day we have a more "customizable" solo program. One idea is to work with other musician's here and share tracks, if you offer things you might get tracks in return.

That or learn to solo. (Wow if only i could) Been workin' on that one for a long time, and still don't got it!

I'm already extremely impressed with the sax solos I've heard using BIAB+RP. Please don't make them better. We sax players need jobs and although they're close to the real thing, they're not quite so because we can use nuances of the human voice -- bend notes, sighing, growling, whispering and other sounds very close to the human voice... ;-)

Seriously speaking, info for all concerned: I know a local sax player who's incredible and has toured the world with name stars. A couple of days ago I saw he posted many of his MP3's from his old CD's on a website and is now selling them fifteen cents -- and for an hour's worth of his songs it's about $1.50 so I guess musicians have to hold our breath until the economy recovers (hopefully before the year 2036). :-O
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Control of RealTracks guitar solos - 06/20/12 08:04 PM
Carpster, try the multitrack feature in RB it helps you get several solo's at once and you can chose from them. This really helped me get what i want at times.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Control of RealTracks guitar solos - 06/23/12 03:13 PM
in order to get note by note control, you need to start with single note samples (which is what midi is)

the reason the real tracks sound better than non-tweaked midi is because nuance is largely a function of phrasing more than it is a function of the note itself. so it ends up being a trade-off in which we decide between more control or more nuance

the best compromise available in RB is to generate multiple solos then cutting and pasting sections that are close to what you want. That way you get some control and some nuance

if you decide to go this route, be aware that you can control the passages a little bit by altering the chords before you generte a new cut and paste passage
© PG Music Forums