PG Music Home
Posted By: npac Playing in position - 08/25/08 10:51 PM
I'm using BIAB as a help in advancing from open chord folk guitar to jazz. I don't read music, but can read tab fairly well, so the tab lead sheets that BIAB provides is a great help for me to work in both the melody and the chords. I notice, however, that many of the jazz songs have a large range, and when I look at the melody line on the lead sheet, BIAB fills in the tab on the high E string, then moves to the B when it needs lower notes, etc. So I'm having to move from open to 15th or higher frets very quickly. It would be a nice addition if BIAB had an option to force the tab to a certain position, say 5th or 7th, etc, but I don't find such an option.

By the way, this is the only slight fault I have with BIAB, other than that it is an awesome program.
Posted By: npac Re: Playing in position - 09/06/08 03:58 PM
Well, looks like I answered my own question and found out how to do it. You click on the single note icon to open the notation window. Then click on option on the left, track type, and choose guitar. If you then click on M for melody on the notation window this opens up the guitar tab below the normal music score. Then, here's the trick, you click on the guitar tab to open the guitar fretboard window on top of the notation window. If you click on the fret number 1, 3, 5, 7, or 12, the tab will adjust to playing from that position. At this point you can print and get the tab for that position. Great! I have to admit, I haven't read the whole manual, and this may be in it but it's almost more fun to stumble across features I didn't know were there.
© PG Music Forums