PG Music Home
Posted By: Matt Finley Support of Maj7(#11) chord type - 08/25/12 04:59 PM
Maj7#11 is a chord commonly found in jazz fakebooks, but if you type this chord into BIAB you get nothing. The supported chord type is Maj9#11. It's one of those things we periodically have to explain to new users.

Now that BIAB version 2012.5 supports a checkbox in Options, Display that controls how Dim chords appear, could the same technique be applied for Maj7#11? I am more interested in how it looks than whether the natural 9th sounds in the chord. It would be nice to have a choice in how it displays.
Posted By: raymb1 Re: Support of Maj7(#11) chord type - 08/26/12 03:26 AM
+1
Posted By: alan S. Re: Support of Maj7(#11) chord type - 08/26/12 12:44 PM
Matt

I've always found slash chord inversions come to my aid for chords like this.

Em9/C or Emadd2/C works as long as you don't mind the #11 appearing as a b5, in the same octave as the natural 5th.

This also gets round the bug involved in using Maj7b5 chords where any minor chord of the same root is liable to be played instead. This becomes apparent when you use a maj7b5 chord over a number of measures. I flagged it up ages ago although nothing was done.

I'm planning to post a ready reckoner of all chord spellings available in BIAB when you use any of the 12 tones as an alternative root over any supported chord.

Best Regards

Alan
Posted By: alan S. Re: Support of Maj7(#11) chord type - 08/27/12 11:19 PM
Another chord that comes to mind for Maj7#11 would be using an altered dominant on the b5th tone of the chord. Something like bV 7susb5b9/I or F#7susb5b9/C for Cmaj7#11

Best Regards

Alan
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Support of Maj7(#11) chord type - 08/27/12 11:27 PM
Very educational, Alan. Thanks.

Just to be clear, my request has to do with how the chord appears, not sounds, and the fact that it is common in fakebooks but cannot be entered as-is into BIAB. I'm guessing that someone trying to enter a fakebook chart into BIAB might not be interested in substitute forms of chords that might work. I could be wrong.
Posted By: alan S. Re: Support of Maj7(#11) chord type - 08/28/12 01:04 AM
Good point, and you can never be certain how the substitute forms will be embellished especially if they're altered dominants.

Best Regards

Alan
© PG Music Forums