PG Music Home
Posted By: fretwizard5 Great Notation Idea! - 10/18/08 01:08 PM
Not sure how realistic this is, but I am always posting requests for BIAB from a educational/learning tool perspective:

In the notation screen, as an option, it would be wonderful if BIAB could overlap the chords with the melody or solo. If the chords could show up in a very lite gray color font, and the same staff as the melody or solo (depending on choice) which would appear in dark black. Perhaps a not so sophicated comping arrangement while this feature was being utilized would be best (maybe just a quater note display of the chord).

Expanding on this idea gives you a whole direction to take build upon relating to your soloist and melodist programs. For example, you can add "use more guide tones", use "triad substitution", "Arrpegiate more through changes", etc and the user (which is practically a music student at this point) could be able to hear and visualize this relativity to the chords which would ultimately lead to a better understanding of music.

Alternatively it would be a tremendous chord training device to flip it and have the opposite happen. Expanding on this idea you could take the "chord training idea" in it's own direction by adding voice leading/inversions variations as an options. For example, voicings based simply on inversions up the chord tones, drop two chords, options for adding tones to 7ths, etc. This would let the user instantly get a feel for what different inversions/voicing sound like against the melody, and then incorporate that into a chord library of the different positions on guitar and piano they can play them!!

This would be a wonderful intervallic teaching tool of how melodies and solos relate to the chords they are playing against. The visual impact coupled with the ability to hear it, would be tremendous!!! Even the folks that play single note instrument would gain from this (a better grasp of soloing concepts relative to charts, and the chord training side of it would give them a better grasp of harmony which always benefits horn players) .Of course, being a jazzer, I know this would predominantly apply to jazz more the the other genres but hey....

Please do this if you can!!! I think it is already possible by dumping different instrument sections into the same track by setting it to multi track, but I am willing to bet you guys could develop this into a more refined option, pretty easily, and add all this cool stuff as a result!!!

Thanks as always,
Justin
Posted By: PapaMikie Re: Great Notation Idea! - 10/18/08 02:40 PM
You could print out the two clefts one under the other, Now you don't get the lighter colour, but you could just teach the student to skip every second row. Would that work until BIAB gets around to what you want?
Posted By: fretwizard5 Re: Great Notation Idea! - 10/18/08 02:55 PM
i sort of am doing that now. but if they develop this type of learning feature into the program, it would be a "push" in the direction of furthering that development with some of the other ideas that I mentioned, or even great ones that have yet to be thought up!! i really hope they would consider doing this!
© PG Music Forums