PG Music Home
Posted By: kelso Export Chord Notation with .mid Files - 12/23/08 04:04 PM
I often rough out an arrangement in BIAB and then import it (via MIDI) into Sonar to use as a template. When doing so, I notice that the nice folks at PG Music have magically made BIAB song location text (like "Intro", "A, Chorus 1", etc.) show up as markers in Sonar. I presume this happens for other sequencers, DAWs, as well.

When I'm arranging in Sonar, I often uses markers to display the chords, an obvious aid to knowing where I am and where I'm going. So my wish is that BIAB offer an option, when saving BIAB files as midi, to export the chords notation instead of the song location as markers, thus saving me time and tedium in Sonar. Thanks.
I have wanted this for a long time. Don't know if there is a standard method for doing this though. I have opened .MID files in sonar and in the first track they give the chords inserted as text. This could get a bit complicated if there are lots of complex chords scrunched into a single measure, but it would still be nice.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Export Chord Notation with .mid Files - 04/25/18 07:34 PM
That's a good idea, export chord names as midi markers.
Hi Kelso,

That's a great idea. You're just looking for the chord names, correct?

The reason I ask is that if you wanted the chords included as MIDI notes, you could go to Options - Preferences - OutputCh, and check "Output Chords" and "Write track to MIDI file", and they'll be included in the MIDI file as sustained notes.

I just wanted to make sure you're aware of that option. smile

Cheers
Kent
PG Music
© PG Music Forums