PG Music Home
Posted By: BBB REAL TRACKS FOR MELODY! - 11/28/13 04:49 PM
Having Real Tracks for the Melodist instead of that "toy sounding" midi would sure be nice.

Is this feasible or a pipe dream on my part?

Happy Holidays!
Posted By: MarioD Re: REAL TRACKS FOR MELODY! - 11/28/13 05:09 PM
The only reason your MIDI is “toy sounding” is because of the sound source you are using. My guess is that sound source is a very inexpensive GM set. Get a good sound source, learn MIDI and you can make some very nice music. In fact a number of forum members have mistaken some of my MIDI performances as RTs.

Now I am not knocking RTs and in fact I use them also but I do get unnerved when someone makes these kinds of accusations about MIDI.
Posted By: BBB Re: REAL TRACKS FOR MELODY! - 11/28/13 05:30 PM
Mario,

Sorry to "raise your temperature" cool

Can you give me some examples of the sound sources you mentioned?

How and where can I learn more about this?

Thanks, BBB
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: REAL TRACKS FOR MELODY! - 11/28/13 05:37 PM
BBB, remember that MIDI has no sound at all. It is just commands that must be played on either a hardware synth or a software synth. The hardware synth that is built in to most PC motherboards is really terrible, and that is what makes some people think MIDI must always sound really terrible.

A good place to listen to some examples of these is the PG Music Dare to Compare page. You will quickly realize two things: there is a huge variation in quality, and you can spend little or lots of money.

Go here: http://www.pgmusic.com/dare-to-compare.htm

FYI, I use a Roland Fantom XR, which is like a much-enhanced SD-20.

Posted By: MarioD Re: REAL TRACKS FOR MELODY! - 11/28/13 05:41 PM
No harm, no foul cool

The MIDI sound source will depend on what genre of music you are playing and your monetary limit. You can spend a fortune on sounds! Just ask my wife wink

My main sound source is Kontakt. I have a lot of third party sounds for it.

Gotta run as the turkey is ready.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: REAL TRACKS FOR MELODY! - 11/28/13 05:46 PM
There, Mario uses a software synth, and I use a hardware synth.

Many solutions exist, and probably all are better than what's built-in to your computer.
Posted By: BBB Re: REAL TRACKS FOR MELODY! - 11/28/13 06:02 PM
Thanks, I will get started learning about this!

Aside from this from a technical standpoint, Is it possible to Have Super Midi Tracks or RT for the Melodist?
Posted By: BBB Re: REAL TRACKS FOR MELODY! - 11/28/13 06:03 PM
Aside from this from a technical standpoint, Is it possible to Have Super Midi Tracks or RT for the Melodist?
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: REAL TRACKS FOR MELODY! - 11/28/13 06:30 PM
RT, no, or at least not at this time.

Not sure about the other question, since I don't use the Melodist function.
Posted By: Paul Haynes Re: REAL TRACKS FOR MELODY! - 11/30/13 02:59 PM
Judging by the "dare to compare" the real tracks sounds best! But I'm guessing not as flexible?
© PG Music Forums