PG Music Home
Posted By: BIABguy Re-generation - 01/19/09 02:03 AM
Re-generation of tunes in BIAB is a sore topic with most users here.

Especially now that there are so many audio tracks involved in a song.
Need I remind PGMusic that it takes forever to re-generate a tune?

Now I understand an effort has been made to alleviate this situation with BIAB 2009
(I don't have this version) but from what I've read there are mixed results with Freezing
songs.

May I suggest that PGMusic records/remembers somehow the song settings (everything really about a song) after a re-generation. You write it to disk somewhere.

So that, either the next time the song is played, or even after BIAB is closed and then opened again, it will just pull up the last generation of the tune and away you go. No FRESH re-generation.

In fact, the only time there should be a new re-generation is when a user EXPLICITLY asks BIAB to do it!
Posted By: Mac Re: Re-generation - 01/19/09 03:53 AM
That is what the REplay button is for. But it only works during the current loading of a song.

It would be nice to have an option that can be globally selected or selected by the song to have it write to disk immediately like you suggest.

--Mac
Posted By: BIABguy Re: Re-generation - 01/19/09 05:12 AM
Quote:

That is what the REplay button is for. But it only works during the current loading of a song.

Right Mac, but how many users honestly know about the REplay button and the fact that it will get around the re-generation? I mean at the very least, there should be a pop-up that comes up when a song is played a second time with yet another needless re-generation (BIAB certainly knows if any changes have been made, but still **stubbornly** re-generates) that says "Look, you can avoid these needless re-generations by clicking on the REplay button."

Quote:

It would be nice to have an option that can be globally selected or selected by the song to have it write to disk immediately like you suggest.

Yes some implementation of this. Either globally selected or per song, or the opposite as I suggest; have it turned off by default, and only when a user clicks re-generate will it re-generate.
Posted By: PapaMikie Re: Re-generation - 01/19/09 10:10 AM
you can now freeze and unfreeze songs, isn't this what you want?
Posted By: raymb1 Re: Re-generation - 01/19/09 01:32 PM
Quote:

Re-generation of tunes in BIAB is a sore topic with most users here.

Especially now that there are so many audio tracks involved in a song.
Need I remind PGMusic that it takes forever to re-generate a tune?

Now I understand an effort has been made to alleviate this situation with BIAB 2009
(I don't have this version) but from what I've read there are mixed results with Freezing
songs.

May I suggest that PGMusic records/remembers somehow the song settings (everything really about a song) after a re-generation. You write it to disk somewhere.

So that, either the next time the song is played, or even after BIAB is closed and then opened again, it will just pull up the last generation of the tune and away you go. No FRESH re-generation.

In fact, the only time there should be a new re-generation is when a user EXPLICITLY asks BIAB to do it!

Since the discussion of Play and Replay have been mentioned many times in the forum, most of us are aware of the functions of these buttons. Later, Ray
Posted By: toucher Re: Re-generation - 01/19/09 03:52 PM
Personally I think there should be a re-generate button such as in RB. Would alleviate accidental re-generation in BIAB, and possibly an undo function so that once you intentionally re-generate, if you decide you don't like it, just undo it to revert back to the last settings before you save the file.

Not sure how difficult this would be to implement, but for my simplist thought process, sounds like it would solve some issues.

toucher
Posted By: Mac Re: Re-generation - 01/19/09 04:27 PM
Quote:

Right Mac, but how many users honestly know about the REplay button and the fact that it will get around the re-generation? I mean at the very least, there should be a pop-up that comes up when a song is played a second time with yet another needless re-generation (BIAB certainly knows if any changes have been made, but still **stubbornly** re-generates) that says "Look, you can avoid these needless re-generations by clicking on the REplay button."

And I'd pull out a gun and shoot my computer screen the umpty-third time that came up.

One has to spend time to learn how to use a good program like BIAB. Period.

If BIAB was a one-day or one-session program, I would not be still using it, for it would not be able to do what I need the program to do. Much of the stuff that "clutters" BIAB is there as a direct result of user requests. Evolution, as it were.

Comparing BIAB to most any other computer program won't cut it, either, I'm afraid.

--Mac
Posted By: BIABguy Re: Re-generation - 01/19/09 09:01 PM
Quote:

Quote:

...I mean at the very least, there should be a pop-up that comes up when a song is played a second time with yet another needless re-generation (BIAB certainly knows if any changes have been made, but still **stubbornly** re-generates) that says "Look, you can avoid these needless re-generations by clicking on the REplay button."

And I'd pull out a gun and shoot my computer screen the umpty-third time that came up.

That one could easily be solved by the old checkbox trick that says "Click here if you do not want to see this message again".

Quote:

One has to spend time to learn how to use a good program like BIAB. Period.

If BIAB was a one-day or one-session program, I would not be still using it, for it would not be able to do what I need the program to do.

And here Mac I fully agree with you. I admit that I am a very casual user of BIAB. I'll use it for a few weeks or so and then not use it for months at a time. And therein lies part of the problem I have with remembering all of BIAB's idiosyncrasies.
© PG Music Forums