PG Music Home
Posted By: The Soundsmith Expand RealTracks chords for jazz - 11/20/14 01:57 PM
Once you get beyond sevenths, the options quickly dwindle. I don't use piano tracks, so I can't comment there, but guitar tracks have very limited selections. I have a version of Norwegian Wood that I created as a quartal-style background, the intro and extended ending do not change regardless of how many regen passes I make. I have had to incorporate the line as an intro riff...

More voicings for upper-end chords, please...
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Expand RealTracks chords for jazz - 11/20/14 02:10 PM
I'm surprised by your statement that you think the guitar tracks lack support for extensions beyond the seventh. I write Brazilian jazz and hardly ever use a chord that doesn't have a higher extension than a seventh, and the guitar tracks play them beautifully:

b9
b13

Could you identify what chord you want, and what styles and guitar RealTracks you are using, so we can duplicate what you are hearing? What does the guitar play if you write these higher extensions? The reason I asked is that, in the earlier days of RealTracks, I twice found a chord where an instrument would simply drop out, and I reported this to PG Music who immediately fixed it. That was the piano, by the way, never the guitar; the guitar has always played anything I threw at it.

More info, please. Thanks.
Posted By: The Soundsmith Re: Expand RealTracks chords for jazz - 11/20/14 02:38 PM
Intro to my version of Norwegian Wood. I am playing it quartally, so I need a lot of fourths, 11s, etc. Here is the intro line - guitar ~549:Guitar, electric, Rhythm Jazz Waltz Sw 140 key of G, in 3/4, one bar each, 'B'

G11, F/G, G2, F/G
G11, F/G, G11, [Eb/G ^F/G]

This repeats as intro and extended ending. I can regen this track as often as I wish, it always plays the same exact guitar line/part. The bass and drums change as you'd expect, but I now use this line as the intro. Try it and see if your mileage differs. Maybe I am missing something, but I can't see what.

For lower extensions, half-dim, b9, b5, etc. there are lots of variations, but I don't find them in the upper changes.

Are we using the same RealTracks? This IS a waltz track, and there are a lot more 4/4 tracks that may have more options.

Thanks for your thoughts.
© PG Music Forums