PG Music Home
Posted By: Island Soul Smart MIDI - 11/27/17 06:31 PM
I think it would be a cool idea to have MIDI tracks play chord positions based on the melody written out in the lead sheet function. This way you can be sure that the chord matches the melody to make the song fit right.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Smart MIDI - 11/27/17 07:34 PM
When you say chord positions, presumably this means chord inversions.

If so, yes, this could be useful.

+1
Posted By: MarioD Re: Smart MIDI - 11/28/17 11:54 AM
If you do indeed mean chord inversions then yes this would be very nice to select any possible chord inversion both with or without a melody line.

+1
Posted By: Island Soul Re: Smart MIDI - 11/28/17 04:17 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
If you do indeed mean chord inversions then yes this would be very nice to select any possible chord inversion both with or without a melody line.

+1

Yes, I mean chord inversion particularly for melodies written in BIAB. I don't see a point in having the MIDI function working without a melody line as there would be no reference point to figure out which inversion would fit.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Smart MIDI - 11/30/17 11:44 AM
Originally Posted By: Islansoul
Originally Posted By: MarioD

+1

Yes, I mean chord inversion particularly for melodies written in BIAB. I don't see a point in having the MIDI function working without a melody line as there would be no reference point to figure out which inversion would fit.

I do not record melodies in BiaB. I may have a melody already to go in my DAW and want to generate a chord only backing track. I also may at times want a chord progression that rises or lowers in pitch. In both of these cases I now have to bring the chord progression into my DAW and rearrange the notes to get what I want. It would be nice to do this in BiaB.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Smart MIDI - 11/30/17 04:13 PM
+1.

I don't normally support ideas based on notation since I don't read or write music notation. The extended explanations about having the MIDI follow the octaves makes sense to me so I support the idea.
Posted By: DEddy Re: Smart MIDI - 12/02/17 07:41 PM
MarioD

"Never question your wife's choices. You were one of them!"

I really LOL whenever you change your quotes. Wish I had kept a copy of all the quotes you've entered. Do you make them up or get them from somewhere?

Thanks for the smiles.
Posted By: John-Luke Re: Smart MIDI - 12/02/17 07:59 PM
This way you can be sure that the chord matches the melody to make the song fit right.

I guess you are referring to the Piano track ?
This feature would be an option and song dependent (not a global option).
Posted By: MarioD Re: Smart MIDI - 12/02/17 09:49 PM
Originally Posted By: DEddy
MarioD

"Never question your wife's choices. You were one of them!"

I really LOL whenever you change your quotes. Wish I had kept a copy of all the quotes you've entered. Do you make them up or get them from somewhere?

Thanks for the smiles.

I get a lot of catalogs and emails from t-shirt companies; my kids like t-shirts for Christmas. Many of them have funny sayings on them. So some of those sayings end up here!

Ps - I wish I was that creative to make them up!
Posted By: Island Soul Re: Smart MIDI - 12/07/17 01:55 PM
Originally Posted By: John-Luke
This way you can be sure that the chord matches the melody to make the song fit right.

I guess you are referring to the Piano track ?
This feature would be an option and song dependent (not a global option).

No, I mean any track that plays chords.
© PG Music Forums