PG Music Home
Posted By: jcspro40 Drum Roll Please.... - 12/09/17 02:30 PM
OK, that was a sad title, but it is that kind of day.....

Again, this update is worth the $$ spent, and a lot of the New Features are useable (still up in the air about video, but I digress) but this update still has a major problem from a drummers perspective, the drum rolls that are generated.

The program is STILL only using 2 drum rolls for most of the generations, tho there are plenty more in the Real Drum track. For the last few years I have did the cut-paste thing to vary up the fills,but mostly end up replacing the drum tracks. Now I could avoid all the hassle if the program itself made use of ALL the rolls that are in the Real Track to start with.

OK, say there are 5 Rolls on a RT, and the program keeps using Roll 1 &3 over and over. How hard would it be to tell BiaB to use the Rolls in order, when the first roll comes up Roll 1, 2nd roll 2, etc, or even mix them up, roll 1 5th roll, roll 2 1st roll, etc....?

This "problem" makes the RT sound static to me.

Now the same thing could be said of ALL the RT, the same Lead Fill over & over, Chord/riff etc. But the Drum Roll marks Sections, and when that Marker is used over and over it screams fake, at least IMHO.

Enjoying 2018! cool
Posted By: CoolBreeze Re: Drum Roll Please.... - 12/09/17 10:47 PM
I just was noticing that behaviour, but I thought there was a setting somewhere for it. I'm guessing that's what the midi tracks and vsti's are for.

The tracks aren't all that "realistic" anyway unless you sporting the audiophile version.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Drum Roll Please.... - 12/11/17 05:15 PM
Quote:
Now I could avoid all the hassle if the program itself made use of ALL the rolls that are in the Real Track to start with.
+1
Posted By: sixchannel Re: Drum Roll Please.... - 12/11/17 05:37 PM
+1 from me too!
The current 'random' is anything but.
Posted By: stratos Re: Drum Roll Please.... - 12/14/17 12:25 PM
+1
Posted By: MikeK Re: Drum Roll Please.... - 12/14/17 02:35 PM
+1
Posted By: jford Re: Drum Roll Please.... - 12/14/17 02:46 PM
Yep, the fills shouldn't sound static.

+1
Posted By: funkycornwall Re: Drum Roll Please.... - 12/14/17 08:52 PM
Agree with this request. I made one before about having the ability to specify a bigger fill or a smaller fill when you add the part markers. This would also add more variety.

Responding to Cool Breeze - why are you saying that the RealDrums are not realistic unless from the Audiophile. Surely they will be same RealDrums but maybe with some added fidelity. Many people don't notice much difference.

Anyway I agree more variety of fills would be really good.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Drum Roll Please.... - 12/15/17 08:20 AM
Another +1
Posted By: CoolBreeze Re: Drum Roll Please.... - 12/15/17 02:35 PM
Originally Posted By: funkycornwall
Agree with this request. I made one before about having the ability to specify a bigger fill or a smaller fill when you add the part markers.

Responding to Cool Breeze - why are you saying that the RealDrums are not realistic unless from the Audiophile. Surely they will be same RealDrums but maybe with some added fidelity. Many people don't notice much difference.

Anyway I agree more variety of fills would be really good.

Not sure why the ability is not already there, but at least you can now watch a video of them not doing the bigger fills.

I think it was just one of the tracks that was poorly recorded. You already lose a lot of headroom in the conversion to WMA format, so then trying to get the drums to properly sit up in a mix becomes more of a challenge. Times that by how many other RT you use and then you have to start bringing out the big guns.

I think even audiophile is CD quality, so that should be your baseline for trying to achieve a professional mix. Like you said they sound great, and most of us do listen to some kind of compressed streaming format, so I'm not complaining. Sure I just wished I could afford the Audiophile edition!
Posted By: funkycornwall Re: Drum Roll Please.... - 12/15/17 09:18 PM
Yes but have you done a side by side comparison between the same tracks produced by the standard versus the audiophile version? General view is that the higher pitched sounds such as cymbals and acoustic guitars sound better but other instruments are much less obvious.

It would be very useful if PG Music could make a song with identical tracks produced from the standard edition and the audiophile. Then allow people to download each instrument from the song as separate files to do a real, meaningful comparison. If there is a huge difference then they may well sell more copies of the audiophile version. However if people could hardly tell the difference then they might sell less of the audiophile edition.
Posted By: John-Luke Re: Drum Roll Please.... - 12/16/17 05:59 AM
+1, below is a complementary proposal :

PRESENTLY :

Up to now we have rather few ways to add some user control on the RealDrums performances, mainly regarding what adds some spice in a song, I mean the fills, the holds and shots.

PROPOSAL :

About the fills, what I propose are following modes :

a) random fill, as now : BB randomly chooses fills between the available quantity of fills of a given style. Duplicate fills can occur.

b) random fill with no duplicate : same as a) mode but no duplicate fill allowed. All fill patterns have to be played before using duplicate fills.

c) full user control : for each fill place, the user chooses what fill he wants from a list.

NB : this feature supposes that we can audition each fill of a Realdrum.

APPLICATION :

Anyway, this new feature should an user option and should be song dependent (not a global option).

This new feature should add more control on Realdrums :
- fills, holds and shots are no longer randomly played but go under user control
- it add more variety when neccesary but can keep unicity if needed
- we already get the realism of the Drums because they are 'real' drums, with this feature we get a further step toward more real RealDrums performances
- globally the BIAB arrangements will sound more professional.

The same proposal would be also applicable for shots and holds.
Posted By: Icelander Re: Drum Roll Please.... - 12/16/17 12:31 PM
I vaguely recall making a "dedicated drum solos RT's" kind of request some years back, so obviously a +1 here.
Posted By: cecilnjeanie Re: Drum Roll Please.... - 12/17/17 05:15 AM
Why not just make a multi riff in the drum file to pick different fills and shots.... would that not work the same way like the other real tracks
Posted By: cecilnjeanie Re: Drum Roll Please.... - 12/17/17 05:21 AM
Is there a way to make a custom multi riff file for the drum tracks?
Posted By: cecilnjeanie Re: Drum Roll Please.... - 12/17/17 05:33 AM
find out if there is a way for us to make a personal multi riff drum track like the instrument multi riff files
© PG Music Forums