PG Music Home
Posted By: Island Soul Amen - 12/24/17 05:26 PM

I think this just reiterates how much it is - high time that PG Music spend some developer resources to finally bite the bullet and consolidate their code-base to be truly cross-platform - due to the many lacking features in the OSX version compared to Windows.

We OSX users are second-rate citizens. And yet the Mac is clearly the preferred operating system and computers used by most pro musicians and producers who use computers as their way of music creation or performance.

There is still some ugly PASCAL based bits of code and GUI going right back to the days of the ATARI ST. PG Music are just too unwilling to commit developer resources to remove it. Which would involve a rewrite of some code in a modern language.

And also the most pain-free, low latency and most supported platform audio-wise. Hence why even now in 2017 it is still a free - independently developed audio driver ASIO - and other bits of middleware that one is forced to use if one wants low latency with ones DAW on Windows - even Windoze 10.

I cannot think of another music software company that has a constant release-version disparity and long lag between the windows and OSX version.

The version numbers get a different release date - and yet EVEN when version numbers match for a few months - say 2017 - it is the case that feature sets don't match.

Shoddy.

Yet PG has been getting away with this for decades.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Amen - 12/24/17 06:46 PM
Quote:
We OSX users are second-rate citizens.
Firstly, I doubt that there would be many users here who think that OSX users are second-rate citizens.

Quote:
...and other bits of middleware that one is forced to use if one wants low latency with ones DAW on Windows - even Windoze 10.

Secondly, actually it's completely your choice that you don't want to run the latest version.

You can. On your Macintosh.

Just add parallels or bootcamp.

But you probably don't want to do that, and would prefer to use derogatory terms when referring to other operating systems. That doesn't help, actually.

Your choice. It is possible. You do actually have a choice.

Quote:
There is still some ugly PASCAL based bits of code and GUI going right back to the days of the ATARI ST. PG Music are just too unwilling to commit developer resources to remove it. Which would involve a rewrite of some code in a modern language.
Thirdly, you are quite incorrect to blame the programming language on any appearance in the user interface. The choice of language has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Posted By: raymb1 Re: Amen - 12/24/17 09:33 PM
One more tid-bit, PC is about 90% of the market and OSX about 10% of the market. Business is business, you cater to your biggest market first.
Posted By: Island Soul Re: Amen - 12/25/17 02:48 PM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Quote:
We OSX users are second-rate citizens.
Firstly, I doubt that there would be many users here who think that OSX users are second-rate citizens.

Quote:
...and other bits of middleware that one is forced to use if one wants low latency with ones DAW on Windows - even Windoze 10.

Secondly, actually it's completely your choice that you don't want to run the latest version.

You can. On your Macintosh.

Just add parallels or bootcamp.

But you probably don't want to do that, and would prefer to use derogatory terms when referring to other operating systems. That doesn't help, actually.

Your choice. It is possible. You do actually have a choice.

Quote:
Thirdly, you are quite incorrect to blame the programming language on any appearance in the user interface. The choice of language has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Ok, I am sorry for posting this. I know I could use bootcamp and get BIAB 2018, but if I do that then my Mac would act as a PC, and anything that would happen to it would mess up my Mac. I also wish you could test out the Mac version of BIAB 2017 and see for yourself.

I know I go on here and rant so much about Windows users getting the better features that the Mac users don't, but I would just like to see both Mac and Windows users be equal. That is all I'm asking for.

P.S. I am quoting another users post.
© PG Music Forums