PG Music Home
Posted By: robsmusic Eliminate Audiophile version - 01/15/18 02:30 PM
Do away with Audiophile version, and instead make all versions of BIAB using uncompressed audio for all Real Drums and Real Tracks.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Eliminate Audiophile version - 01/15/18 04:30 PM
That would be nice, except everyone would need over 1.5 terabytes of storage space to put it on a computer. This is approximately 11 times the current requirement.
Posted By: robsmusic Re: Eliminate Audiophile version - 01/15/18 05:02 PM
In the old days, that would definitely be a problem, but today a 2 terabyte hard drive is less than $100.

Why should they sell the product with less than the best possible audio quality when memory is so cheap?

Just something to think and wish about here on the wish list.

-rob

Posted By: w Re: Eliminate Audiophile version - 01/15/18 05:37 PM
Mr.robsmusic,

Would all computers ( Mac or Windows ) and all the different operating systems be able to play/use as well as store the Audiophile version ?
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Eliminate Audiophile version - 01/15/18 07:41 PM
That idea would most likely require a removable USB drive always be connected to the system.

I would think that many users who use BiaB in a portable situation (e.g. from a laptop) would prefer not to have to carry a separate drive for it to work.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Eliminate Audiophile version - 01/15/18 07:55 PM
W, sure, any fairly new PC or Mac can use the audiophile version now. It actually is slightly easier on the computer than the ‘regular’ version. To find out why, read the short essay I wrote in the Tips and Tricks forum here. It’s the first sticky post.

If people don’t mind using the external drive all the time, it works fine.
Posted By: JohnJohnJohn Re: Eliminate Audiophile version - 01/15/18 10:06 PM
Originally Posted By: robsmusic
Do away with Audiophile version, and instead make all versions of BIAB using uncompressed audio for all Real Drums and Real Tracks.

Excellent suggestion! +1
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Eliminate Audiophile version - 01/15/18 11:53 PM
The Audiophile version is more expensive. I wonder would all users be prepared to pay the additional cost?
Posted By: w Re: Eliminate Audiophile version - 01/16/18 12:25 AM
Matt,

it was actually your article that convinced me to purchase the Mac audiophile version ( PG's 2 TB USB drive ) and will continue updating it.

I do have all the Mac's i have ever purchased. Although I can use the Mac Audiophile USB drive with my " legacy " Mac's the performance with a couple of really old Mac's is beyond sluggish and really not worth the time.

Of course with my most recent Mac's there is no performance problems.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Eliminate Audiophile version - 01/16/18 12:54 AM
W, that sounds right, but perhaps for a different reason. First, the older versions of BIAB had many more files for the RealTracks. They were called +- files. When the Elastique algorithm was introduced, the need for those +- files went away, but only in faster computers. I don’t know if the Mac version worked the same way.

Second, besides the above, the program itself has become more powerful and the minimum requirements for acceptable performance have risen. I would maintain that newer versions might have trouble running on older machines and it has nothing at all to do with RealTracks (audiophile or not); it’s the updated program.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Eliminate Audiophile version - 01/16/18 10:57 PM
At first read I would have thought I'd support making all versions having lossless audio files instead of lossy but, no, that is not the case.

First, everyone that wants the lossless files can have them; they are available.

Second, I am a hobbyist. While I wouldn't mind having the lossless files, not having them doesn't disturb me too much. The lossy files work fine for the way I use Band-in-a-Box and RealBand.

I see PG Music offering lossy and lossless audio files as just another way to give customers options to prioritize their purchases and order what is most important to them.
Posted By: Teunis Re: Eliminate Audiophile version - 01/17/18 08:11 AM
I agree Jim. There is a difference in the way different folk use the program. Using so called lossless formats (recorded at 44.1k 16 bit) to set up a band sound for a noisy environment with people talking, others singing or heckling, poker machines clicking and clanging seems a waste of time. Using lossless formats to create MP3 to me seems like a waste also. Most people cannot hear the difference nor do they care.

Yes if you are using the software to create commercials, movies or indeed records there may be a need to go for the best but for some of us not really.

If I can hear anything over the tinnitus I have even with hearing aids in I am thrilled. I do wish I had tinnitus with a beat or a tune.

Tony
Posted By: Island Soul Re: Eliminate Audiophile version - 01/29/18 01:42 PM
Originally Posted By: robsmusic

I disagree with you. With the Audiophile edition, I can load BIAB using the hard drive without needing to install BIAB on my computer so I'm going to say no to that idea. I get that you want to have all audio to be uncompressed without needing the hard drive and I totally agree with that idea but it will never happen. First, how would you be able to take every audio file in BIAB, load it onto your hard drive and be able to use the files? Second, do you enjoy the ability to use BIAB on the hard drive without needing to download it? I know I do. So again, I want the Audiophile edition to stay.
Posted By: robsmusic Re: Eliminate Audiophile version - 01/30/18 01:47 PM
These days there are several types of lossless compression available.

PG should explore the possibilities.

If not uncompressed wav, then at least consider using a lossless compression instead of wma so that all BIAB users can enjoy the best possible audio quality, even when disk space is a concern.
Posted By: mrgeeze Re: Eliminate Audiophile version - 02/10/18 12:02 PM
uncompressed wav is the way to go.
disk space is cheap and getting cheaper.

also, a 2TB drive is more like 500.
No one should use a spinning disk drive.
Join the new Millennium!!!
Go SSD.
© PG Music Forums