PG Music Home
Posted By: PLS Input Monitoring - 02/03/18 12:42 PM
Dear BIAB fairy,

I’m probably exceeding my wish quota for just one day but I’m hoping that you’ll dig deep in your kindliness to at least take this one also into consideration, if for no other and better reason just because it was my birthday a couple of days ago, that having been the pretext to have offered myself a copy of BIAB.

After having fumbled with BIAB for a bit already and having already searched the manual, FAQs, Forum and internet, I couldn’t find a way to monitor my sound input through BIAB.

Everything seems to be working fine as I can record what I play, set the input level with the inbuilt VU meter and reproduce my recording perfectly but... I cannot hear myself play while recording (or while playing along just for the fun of it) and that, to put it mildly... is a bugger.

My rig, just in case this info may be relevant, is pretty straightforward. The input is done by connecting my bass guitar to a MacMini via a little gizmo (basically a USB audio interface) called Jam 96K. The output is via hdmi to my home theater receiver.

So, dear BIAB fairy, my wish would be for you to magically create the option to allow live monitoring of the audio input.

Ps: just between the two of us, I’ve found a nice workaround to the above situation. By opening one of my DAWs (Logic or GarageBand) and creating a new project with just one channel for the external input (guitar) I immediately have the sound outputting through the hdmi. The thing is that not only it is not an elegant solution, as it forces me to have another (unnecessary and heavy) software running at the same time as BIAB, but it wont be possible for those users not having a DAW.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Input Monitoring - 02/03/18 01:43 PM
Welcome to the forum. I am NOT an expert on this particular topic - live recording - but a few things in your post struck me. I think what you want is something called Direct Monitoring. This is typically done by the soundcard/mixer you use via USB. An example would be a Focusrite Scarlett. In other words, it is not done in BIAB.

However, I am not saying it isn't possible, only that I don't do it that way. I transfer BIAB tracks to a DAW and use the DAW to record my parts with the BIAB tracks. A DAW will have some form of routing the signal that should work for you.

It's possible that you should be trying RealBand, which is the free DAW provided by PG Music with BIAB. But again, I'm not skilled in this area.
© PG Music Forums