PG Music Home
In this post, http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=462197#Post462197

we discussed how to end a held chord. Kent revealed that what I thought was a longstanding workaround has been fixed, namely that if we want to end a held chord, we no longer need to use another chord - any other chord - because the same chord with a period would not work. This practice goes back to the 1990s.

So, since that has been fixed, the next logical step seems to me to make something that does not print out (for those who use BIAB notation such as to give to a band). I suggest two possibilities:

1) make the NC (no chord) work, make sure it will stop a held chord, and then make an option in the printout menu for it not to print

OR

2) create some other new 'stopper' character that also would not print (but would be visible on the chordsheet)
Great idea!

+1
Definite improvements.
+1
+1
I have a better idea. The program knows you're holding a chord (it can see the ...) and it knows it's the end of the song. If the held chord is the last thing in the song, just fade out the held chord without having to put any rested chord in at the end. The length of the fade is determined by how many bars from the end the held chord is entered. Is there anything else it would be doing?
And then notation could even put a fermata over the last chord.
Originally Posted By: jford

Nice touch!
That would work, yes.
Good idea so +1

Strange though if I am doing things right, disabling 2 bar song ending, and then a held chord with a rested chord of the same name a few bars later, it seems to work fine in audio realtracks, but not with a midi style I still have to use a chord of a different name to get the right ending.
Originally Posted By: musiclover
... but not with a midi style I still have to use a chord of a different name to get the right ending.

Aha. This bears further testing.
Quote:
Aha. This bears further testing.

So, I guess I wasn't imagining things. Since RealTracks, MIDI styles, and MIDI super tracks all use different engines, maybe it only got fixed for RealTracks. It would be interesting to see what the behavior for SuperTracks are, as well.
Originally Posted By: jford

I have written a post on 03/07/14 to get the fermata symbol.
That is a very frequent symbol used in many scores.

Four years later, we still wait for it...
© PG Music Forums