PG Music Home
I wish for this every year and it looks like you're getting closee with the song settings options now, but the selections don't seem to have much of an effect, or at least the desired outcome:

I would like to be able to disable the middle chorus shots, holds, pushes, rests, all except, etc. for the purpose of soloing during the middle choruses. I make some nice pushes, shots, holds, all except, etc. during the first chorus, but I don't want these in the middle solo sections. Currently I have to add a whole different section for solos which is kind of a pain...

Mike
Good feature to have. Definitely a reasonable request.
+1
Hi Mike,

Is unchecking "Allow Pushes in Middle Choruses" and "Allow Rests in Middle Choruses' in Song Settings not working for you?

I just made a short 3-chorus song with a bunch of rests, shots, holds, and pushes and unchecked that box, and they were ignored for chorus 2.

Rests, Shots, and Holds are all considered rest types in Band-in-a-Box, so that "Allow Rests..." checkbox really should affect all 3.

Thanks
Kent
PG Music
Good info Kent. I didn’t know that rests here includes other types.
Hi Matt,

It's definitely not obvious, and probably wouldn't have occurred to me unless Shots, Holds, and Rests were all listed in the Rest Type drop-down menu in Chord Settings.

I'm going to submit a request to have that worded a bit more clearly in Song Settings. smile

Cheers
Kent
PG Music
Thanks for the reply Kent. No, unchecking the boxes in song settings has no effect for me. The middle sections are the same as the first and last with regards to rests, shots, holds, etc. I tried making a simple short arrangement too, but got same results. I only use real tracks...

Mike
Does your song use the BIAB chorus structure? The one that is shown as 1-32-3 in the song area. Or have you built your song in a linear mode. The played results will be identical, but for BIAB it is a one chorus song - so there is no middle chorus to apply the shots, holds, etc.
Originally Posted By: Mike Lucich
..... Currently I have to add a whole different section for solos which is kind of a pain...Mike

Yes, if you Edit > Song Form > Unfold (there's even a button to do that) you can add/remove shots/holds/rest/pushes with one click with Biab Chord Picker Tool (Download) beta 2.1f + 32/64 (2016..2018) (...2015)

Attached File
Chord-Picker-2.1f.png  (95 downloads)
Originally Posted By: Pipeline
..... Currently I have to add a whole different section for solos which is kind of a pain...Mike

Yes, if you Edit > Song Form > Unfold (there's even a button to do that) you can add/remove shots/holds/rest/pushes with one click with Biab Chord Picker Tool (Download) beta 2.1f + 32/64 (2016..2018) (...2015)

They offered you a job there yet, Pipeline?
Thanks for the reply Kent. No, unchecking the boxes in song settings has no effect for me. The middle sections are the same as the first and last with regards to rests, shots, holds, etc. I tried making a simple short arrangement too, but got same results. I only use real tracks...

Mike

Hi Mike,

Can you freeze the tracks in a song file that has this issue and send it to support@pgmusic.com please? In my testing, I'm finding that not all tracks are skipping the shots/rests/holds when that box is unchecked (I'll report this), but it definitely does make a very noticeable difference.

Thanks
Kent
PG Music
I've tried to make a backing track for Moanin' by Bobby Timmons which has rests and chord punches. I entered the C. to rest the band while so I can play the short melody hits. Upon entering the music just the way i want as soon as i hit play or save ALL the chords are then made into rests by having the "." appended to all of them. I have a screenshot of this if you'd like to see it.
Frank,

Welcome to Band-in-a-Box and to the forum!

Are you freezing the track (the snowflake icon on each mixer track; when a track is "frozen" the snowflake changes color from grey to blue) after you get it set up the way you want?
Thanks for the tip. I just tried it, clicking on the snowflake resulted in a pop-up that said need to generate the tracks first and when you reply OK it sets all the chords to rests.
||: C. | C/G, G| C. | C/G,G :|| makes the all rests, this is just sample. The song, Moanin' is in the jazz fake books.
© PG Music Forums