PG Music Home
So far I have unsuccessfully searched for a tool with which I can find the matching jazz standards for certain progressions. Basically a kind of reversal tool to a Realbook. I come across progressions from time to time, for which I simply can't remember the corresponding song. 2 bars C, 2 bars D7#11, Dmin, G7, Emin, A7 ... was it "Skyliner" ... no, it was "Take the A Train".
It would be great if Band in a Box' SongPicker could also filter the songs containing a certain chord progression. You enter a chord sequence (i.e. 2 bars C, 2 bars D7#11, 1 bar Dm7, 1 bar G7 etc.) and the SongPicker displays only those songs in which either this sequence occurs exactly or alternatively the same steps, i.e. the same progression in a different key. I don't think that this would be difficult to program, because the SongPicker can already access the chord sequences of all songs. But it could be a help, e.g. for creating solo lines on changes, as it is very popular to reference other pieces in solo passages. And I do not know any other software tool that can do this!
This is an excellent idea, and could definitely get a lot of use.
Absolutely +1
+1 with a request for clarification.

I assume this feature would become part of the SongPicker, is that correct?

Since you mention Jazz would it be useful to filter song titles by genre?

I suspect it could be useful to have a selector for chord, note or beat entry. Then someone could enter a bass, keyboard or drum progression to select a song title to work with as a starting point.
+1
Very interesting suggestion.

I wonder if the search could have wildcard characters.

For example, what if I think the chord is D7 but in the song they use D7(b9). Could I enter D7* and get a song with either?
Jim,
Yes, of course I meant the SongPicker, I use a german BiaB so I sometimes confuse the terms a little. I now corrected this in my first post.
This might useful not only for jazz standards, this is just my main music genre with BiaB.
With this proposed option PGmusic should not have any difficulties with song titles copyrights, as it just searches the songs already on the local computer.

And, Matt, Yes i think there could be a lot of options, like wildcards or even substitution chords.

I think this is a terrific suggestion.
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
I think this is a terrific suggestion.

As do I.

+1
Awesome idea!!! +1
That is a cracking suggestion +1
cracking ... awesome ... terrific ... interesting ... excellent ...
that's a lot of enjoyable pats on the back for my idea. Thanks! I would be really happy if we could get such a filter.
Groundbreaking idea, really. Wide implications.
© PG Music Forums