PG Music Home
Please add Auto Input Monitoring to Band-in-a-Box. For those not familiar with the term +++ HERE +++ is the definition per the online music store, Sweetwater.
Quote:
Auto Input Monitoring allows you to monitor the live input to a track when in record or idle mode, but in playback mode, it will always play the audio which is on the track (or be silent if there is no recorded audio), even if record enable is on.

This differs from the plain jane input monitoring definition:
Quote:
Input Monitor Only will always monitor the live input to a track, regardless if the track is in idle, record, or play mode. Therefore, if you have a track in record enable mode, it will not playback what’s recorded on the track without taking it out of record enable.

I believe auto input monitoring is a better choice for how input monitoring should work inside Band-in-a-Box. For some users, Band-in-a-Box is the only audio recorder they use so it is important a feature like this operate as unobtrusive and seamless as possible.

It is also important for the auto input monitoring feature to support the play along feature. As a practice tool and backing tracks tool it is important to hear what you play mixed with the Band-in-a-Box tracks. This will happen automatically when auto input monitoring is implemented.

I truly believe adding auto input monitoring would totally change how Band-in-a-Box is used by educators, musicians and casual users.

My thanks to VideoTracks for pointing out I failed to complete my last thought prior to hitting the "ENTER" key. blush
I truly believe also, Jim.

+1
Although I do not record in BiaB I think this is an excellent idea for those who do record in BiaB. Actually I think that input monitoring should be mandatory for any program that allows audio recording.

+1
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Although I do not record in BiaB I think this is an excellent idea for those who do record in BiaB. Actually I think that input monitoring should be mandatory for any program that allows audio recording.

+1

Ditto that.

+1
I agree that the request is very desirable but isn’t this done through the audio interface? How could BIAB software implement it to work with the myriad of interfaces out there? Maybe I’m missing something.
Matt -

It was just posted by PGMusic in a RealBand thread that RealBand (but not BIAB) can do input monitoring. I would think that they would port the code from RB to BIAB to accomplish the same in BIAB.

Unless I'm missing something here.
I remember there was a clamor to keep the keyboard active when BIAB was not playing, but they fixed that. Thanks for the clue about RealBand.
I'm with Matt.
Once RB came out I have never understood the rationale of making biab like RB.Once you do what you can in biab and find you need more important to RB and keep going.
I just saw that thread.

As a composer, I like to stay within BIAB for as long as possible, and therefore I am in favor of this request.
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
I truly believe also, Jim.

+1
grin My believe was first!
Originally Posted By: silvertones
Once RB came out I have never understood the rationale of making biab like RB.Once you do what you can in biab and find you need more important to RB and keep going.
Band-in-a-Box has audio recording capability and an audio track that can record audio. Adding auto input monitoring is the final element needed to make recording in Band-in-a-Box both practical and fun.

It's not a question of recording in Band-in-a-Box versus recording in RealBand as both programs offer recording as a feature. As it currently stands recording in RealBand is far more practical than recording in Band-in-a-Box.

Matt,

Audio input monitoring can be software managed similar to how audio from midi and audio from an audio track are managed. The software adds latency to compensate for when all the audio is played.
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
I remember there was a clamor to keep the keyboard active when BIAB was not playing, but they fixed that. Thanks for the clue about RealBand.

If by this you are referring to being able to monitor VST/AU instruments hosted on a particular track like MELODY - particularly when recording a MIDI part and then editing in Piano roll - then I agree with this 100%
I REALLY need input monitoring so I can use my EWI 5000 with BIAB on Mac.

However - I am using SoundSource 'Pass-Thru' (https://rogueamoeba.com/soundsource/) which works brilliantly for monitoring.

1. EWI --> wireless receiver --> Mac USB-C port.
2. SoundSource - set up Pass-Thru as EWI Input and Built-In Headphone Output and click Start Play-Thru
3. BIAB, set up Prefs/Audio Settings/Audio Devices/EWI - Input Device; Built-In Output - Output Device
4. Record audio in BIAB as usual

Hey presto. No latency, all good.

I was planning to use an Amp sim to improvise melodies into BIAB and convert them to MIDI

so as well as adding the badly needed ability to monitor MIDI through the plugin being used on a track - I also second the request for ability to monitor any audio being recorded - whether direct or via some effect plugin.
Bump
+1

bump

ouch!!!!
+1
And
Bump
© PG Music Forums