PG Music Home
Please consider a format for saving just chord grid, with all the part makers, bar changes etc. So you can replace whole grid on the fly for variations or if you made changes to original MIDI file in other software or different creative reasons.

Sort of dedicated BIAB chord grid format that can be opened on the top of existing project.
Rustyspoon#,

As I understand your wishlist request, you are asking for a midi file addendum that will store data specific to a Band-in-a-Box song project. Another way to think about it is to add data to a standard midi file that can be used to restore a Band-in-a-Box song project. Data examples include information like mixer settings, chords, part markers and bar settings. Is my understanding correct?

+1 although I worry in part about if the addendum would be treated as file corruption by other programs that work with midi files, in other words a standard midi file would no longer be standard.
Hi Jim,
here is the scenario.

I import non BIAB created midi file to BIAB. I correct all the chords, part markers, bar changes. If for one example I need to work further with that original midi file outside BIAB, I can not "re-import" it leaving chord grid intact.
With the next "file open" chord grid will be replaced and chords (most of them will be wrong again), part markers will be lost etc.

The work around in BIAB as of now is have the project "A" with corrected chords, parts, bar changes open. Select all bars-->Copy. Open project "B"(midi file)
and "PASTE" the previously copied bars...That Copy>Paste will include all information of chord grid.

So what I am asking for is.... When you select and copy whole chord grid that information is copied somewhere, so in short to be able to save that snapshot of whole chord grid > to be able to superimpose it later on any other midi file.

Since function is 100% there and it allows for copy/paste it should be not hard to be able to have "saves" and "opens"

I hope that makes sense smile

Misha.
Did you try File > Import > Import MGU Song... and just select what you need.

Both BB and RB save PG chords to a midi file but don't include shots/holds.
You need to use File > Open (*.mid) to get the chords.

Attached picture BB-Import-MGU.png
Pipeline, good thoughts! but it does not include bar changes and other parameters, but when you copy/paste whole chord grid on active window from one project to another, it does.
© PG Music Forums