PG Music Home
Posted By: Aubrey Multi-Threaded Realtracks Generation - 02/19/19 07:43 PM
When you generate a songwithin BIAB, the progress dialog at the top of the screen shows each of the Realtracks generating one after the other. Given that almost every PC or Mac these days has multiple cores each capable of running multiple program threads, would it not be possible to utilise multiple threads to generate several tracks simultaneously?

This would help to significantly reduce one of the biggest workflow bottlenecks within the program.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Multi-Threaded Realtracks Generation - 02/19/19 08:08 PM
+1 Excellent suggestion and idea for both Band-in-a-Box and RealBand. However, PG Music may already be spreading the workload among multiple cpu cores.

As a test I loaded the RealStyle _Crooner1.STY Crooner Big Band w/9-Part Horns. I set Windows Task Manager to display cpu loads and pressed the regenerate button.

As you can see from the screen shot below, each of the four cores in my i3 cpu are working.

Attached picture Clipboard01.jpg
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Multi-Threaded Realtracks Generation - 02/19/19 08:10 PM
I'm sure there's some multi-threading going on already with the program, but I don't think this is used as part of the song generation process. I powerful processor minimizes this time, but the idea is worthy of consideration.

+1
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Multi-Threaded Realtracks Generation - 02/19/19 08:34 PM
+1
But also an idea I was bragging about several month back... Possibility of loading RT/RD, the ones in the mixer directly to RAM. As of now, each re-generation goes to source. Could be very beneficial to folks that have 16gb or more RAM.
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: Multi-Threaded Realtracks Generation - 02/19/19 11:02 PM
Hi,

What about a new function in the Render dialogue which enables you to download all song tracks with multiple takes. It would automatically regenerate the song between renders so that every track is different. I do this at least 5 times manually into Reaper for each song I record and it is very time consuming when you have say 7 tracks and 5 renders per song.

Best Regards
Nigel
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Multi-Threaded Realtracks Generation - 02/20/19 02:21 AM
Originally Posted By: NigelSpiers
Hi,

What about a new function in the Render dialogue which enables you to download all song tracks with multiple takes. ...

+1
Like this ?

Attached picture BB-Audio-Render2.png
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Multi-Threaded Realtracks Generation - 02/20/19 03:21 AM
Hi Nigel, I wonder if this is worth creating as a separate (new) thread?
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: Multi-Threaded Realtracks Generation - 02/20/19 10:36 AM
Exactly - that screen clip looks so real - you have virtually written the function for PG Music.

On re-reading this thread it appears I may have strayed some what from the original theme which was the time taken to regenerate a song - Sorry about that Aubrey.

Best Regards
Nigel
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Multi-Threaded Realtracks Generation - 02/20/19 08:19 PM
Multicore-Ram buffered- Variation file rendering...
+3

sometimes it is better to see whole picture smile
Posted By: Aubrey Re: Multi-Threaded Realtracks Generation - 02/22/19 06:32 AM
Hi Nigel,
Absolutely no problem!

BIAB have implemented a form of this multi-render within their new 2019 BIAB DAW app, but this only seems to work for 1 track. This would probably suffice for me because I only tend to generate multiple takes for the lead instrument track (so that I can stitch the best bits together into a single track within Cubase), but I can see how this could be useful to do with all tracks (e.g. so you can choose the best drum breaks on part changes).

Obviously being able to regenerate tracks more quickly (whether solving this with multi-threading or by some other means) would make the generation of multiple takes much more usable.

I also like Rustyspoon's suggestion of pre-loading all the audio for every variation of the currently selected Realtracks into RAM so that it can be accessed more quickly. I am not sure how much RAM this would require but I would be prepared to invest in a lot more RAM if this was feasible!

Regards, Aubrey
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Multi-Threaded Realtracks Generation - 02/22/19 01:21 PM
Originally Posted By: NigelSpiers
Exactly - that screen clip looks so real - ...
Nigel

Yes, there are a few folks who can design great new features that can fool you at first into thinking “I didn’t know it could do that!”. I know most of the program fairly well but I still do a double take.
© PG Music Forums