PG Music Home
Posted By: jford Stylepicker Rebuild - 03/08/19 05:22 PM
It would be really nice if when we install a new patch update, that the installation process went ahead and did the (at least the FAST) Stylepicker Rebuild in the background as part of installing the update. That way, when you launch BIAB, you are ready to use it and don't have to mess with rebuilding the StylePicker, which you have to do for BIAB to work properly anyway. Just let the installer do it, rather than having to do it manually.

I don't see a downside to this, but I could be wrong.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Stylepicker Rebuild - 03/08/19 06:01 PM
A SUPER BIG +1 for the slow rebuild for those of us that have 3rd party styles. Maybe a fast or slow rebuild could be an install option?
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Stylepicker Rebuild - 03/08/19 06:12 PM
If the install routine did a rebuild, and it told you that's what it was doing, then I think this is a very good idea, John.

Maybe have a checkbox on what level of install is desired, as Mario suggested? You know going in (because of the prompt that would be with the checkbox option) that it will take a bit more time.

+1
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Stylepicker Rebuild - 03/08/19 11:34 PM
Great idea John.

It's the first thing that I always have to do after installing an update. If I always have to do this (manually) then it would be a big improvement if it just always did it for me (automatically).

+1
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Stylepicker Rebuild - 03/09/19 12:11 AM
+1

After an upgrade the first time the StylePicker is opened the user is notified a rebuild is required. So it makes sense to automate initiating the rebuild if possible.

The "Environment Options" of the "Options" (Ctrl + E) page has an ideal spot to place a checkbox for a StylePicker defaults to slow rebuild selection. Then users that prefer or need the slow rebuild can check the box while everyone else gets the fast rebuild.

Attached picture Clipboard01.jpg
Posted By: Dave Re: Stylepicker Rebuild - 03/09/19 02:55 PM
Would it be possible to have an option to rebuild user styles only? I occasionally modify my own styles and would like to rebuild the list. No changes to PG styles, Real Tracks or RealDrums so why go through the slow rebuild
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Stylepicker Rebuild - 03/09/19 09:41 PM
Dave, I think the 'rebuild' is simply a cataloging of what styles are available on disk. It's more of a search function than a rebuild. I like the O/P's concept that this could be automated.
Posted By: Dave Re: Stylepicker Rebuild - 03/09/19 10:01 PM
For sure, let's automate where possible. Although it doesn't seem like a lot, there must take longer to do a slow rebuild rather than a fast one. A slow one includes user styles and a fast one doesn't. Logically it would seem the just the user styles should take just a few seconds. Typically we don't get PGMusic style Realtracks or Realdrum changes very often, (so why do we need the rebuild?) but user styles might change more frequently.

It's not a show stopper in any event, just musing for a Canuck waiting for his song picker to work
Posted By: Mike. R. Re: Stylepicker Rebuild - 03/11/19 05:31 AM
Yes please +1
Posted By: MikeK Re: Stylepicker Rebuild - 03/12/19 09:01 AM
Love the idea!

+1
Posted By: zedd Re: Stylepicker Rebuild - 04/20/19 06:33 AM
I like the idea... and while it's doing that automatically, why not just load up and update the User Styles as well? Then everything shouldn't be all ready to go as it was before we installed an update.

On the other hand... it only takes 20-30 seconds or so, and it affords us the opportunity to take stalk of the numbers of styles and pay attention to any errors or messages that pop up.
© PG Music Forums