PG Music Home
Posted By: MovingAir Track Names When Rendered - 04/18/19 05:56 PM
Hey there.
I don't know if this was addressed in BIAB 2019 because I don't have that one, but as of the 2018 version, when you would import styles/tracks, the names in the Mixer tab would change to match the instrument in that track. However, when you go to render your tracks, the track names go back to the defaults (melody, strings, etc.), so you have to sort through them to figure out which one is which. Would it be possible to have the correct track labels stay when you render, so "fiddle" will render as "fiddle" instead of "piano" or whatever slot you happen to have it in? That would be really nice. I know 2019 works inside the DAW, so it may not be as much of an issue, but it would still be really helpful.
Thanks.
Posted By: mbsmike Re: Track Names When Rendered - 04/19/19 12:58 AM
I second this! Very time consuming renaming when you do 3 takes of 9 tracks as I did today.

Mike
Posted By: FwLineberry Re: Track Names When Rendered - 04/19/19 03:03 AM
It works right in the plugin, but export from the main program still uses the default names.
Posted By: JohnJohnJohn Re: Track Names When Rendered - 04/19/19 05:34 PM
One of those new "features" that was never finished. I stopped using it and reverted to the old behavior to make things consistent throughout the program. Ugh.
Posted By: zedd Re: Track Names When Rendered - 04/20/19 06:23 AM
Originally Posted By: MovingAir
However, when you go to render your tracks, the track names go back to the defaults (melody, strings, etc.), so you have to sort through them to figure out which one is which. Would it be possible to have the correct track labels stay when you render, so "fiddle" will render as "fiddle" instead of "piano" or whatever slot you happen to have it in? That would be really nice. I know 2019 works inside the DAW, so it may not be as much of an issue, but it would still be really helpful.

Great point! I would also love to see this fixed! (That's the Mac version for me.)

I'm glad to hear that it is working properly in the new plug-in version, since that may become the primary way that most of us work with BIAB... but for those times when we do want to--or need to--work with the standalone, it would be nice if this was fixed and adjusted to work with proper names to match the way it works in the plugin. Both should produce the same results and properly named tracks.

I also save several versions of a song, and it is indeed a process to rename all the audio tracks for each take.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Track Names When Rendered - 04/20/19 06:18 PM
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
One of those new "features" that was never finished. I stopped using it and reverted to the old behavior to make things consistent throughout the program. Ugh.

+1. The way track names presently works is annoying, frustrating and confusing. I also tried the feature but backtracked once I discovered the feature is partially implemented. In this case it's all or nothing, a track shouldn't have multiple names dependent on what you're viewing, what task you're performing to the content or how you're using the content.

I still prefer the suggestion I made long ago for backing tracks to have generic place holder names like T1, T2, T3, etc. while the three tracks with special features (Audio, Solo and Melody) keep the names they have. The backing track default names should be user programmable globally through Preferences (Ctrl + E) with the capability to be user modified in each song project using Song Settings.

Even though many users fill the Solo and Melody with RealTracks or MidiSuperTracks I don't think the track names should change to reflect the content. I believe it is more important for users to be reminded that the Solo and Melody tracks offer different capabilities than backing tracks. Users seem to forget about the Audio track since it is hidden in the mixer by default.
Posted By: JohnJohnJohn Re: Track Names When Rendered - 04/20/19 07:22 PM
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
I still prefer the suggestion I made long ago for backing tracks to have generic place holder names like T1, T2, T3, etc. while the three tracks with special features (Audio, Solo and Melody) keep the names they have. The backing track default names should be user programmable globally through Preferences (Ctrl + E) with the capability to be user modified in each song project using Song Settings.

That is a great suggestion! T1, T2, T3, etc. would be much easier to "reassign" in my head than remembering Piano has Guitar track and Strings has Horns, etc.!

Great - fix this feature so a user name change is implemented EVERYWHERE
Good - implement your T1, T2, T3, etc. fix
Marginally OK - we revert back to the original names (as I and you have done)
Poor - the current implementation where it shows as custom but you inevitably hit an area (like exporting tracks) where it reverts to the old naming scheme
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Track Names When Rendered - 04/21/19 12:41 AM
A bit like this idea from several years ago?
Posted By: MovingAir Re: Track Names When Rendered - 04/21/19 08:30 PM
You can already rename the track in the mixer, but again, that doesn't translate to a rendered take. So if you're doing something nothing but 6 acoustic guitars, and they're all labeled how you like in the mixer, it would be nothing but beneficial to take those labels and apply them to the rendered tracks.
Posted By: JohnJohnJohn Re: Track Names When Rendered - 04/22/19 03:25 PM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack

The BIAB Wishlist...where great ideas (like yours) go to die! laugh
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Track Names When Rendered - 04/22/19 03:43 PM
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack

The BIAB Wishlist...where great ideas (like yours) go to die! laugh

Or get implemented, like many of my suggestions. smile
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Track Names When Rendered - 01/07/20 01:05 PM
+1
© PG Music Forums