PG Music Home
Posted By: dougle What chord Am I playing, what chord is this? - 05/25/19 01:08 AM
Hi all, because BB chords are based on a particular set of rules, and somewhat out of my knowledge range, when I play a peculiar guitar chord, and use an online search to find it's correct name, more often than not it is not readily identifiable within BB rules/chord structures.
It would be more than fantastic if you implemented a way to do this within pgm, ie on guitar graph, we draw the notes and positions we play, and the pgm identifies it from within the available schema, with perhaps alternatives as well.
Thanks, Doug H
+1 absolutely!
There are many utilities online to do this, true, but do you know about MIDI Chord Detection in the BIAB Windows menu? If you have a MIDI keyboard connected, it will give you up to four choices for what the chord is.

You also need to know the context (preceding and following chords) to make the right choice. No utility I’ve seen does that yet.

As to BIAB not accepting a chord, post the example here. We may know how it should be written in BIAB.
PG Music offers +++ The Guitar Chord Dictionary +++ for guitar players and +++ The Piano Chord Dictionary +++ for keyboards.

I purchased both programs and keep shortcuts to both on my computer desktop. The screen shot below demonstrates the Guitar Dictionary reverse chord operation.

My one complaint is the information is correct only for a guitar using standard EADGBE tuning.

Description: Guitar Chord Dictionary 1. Select the Reverse Chord Finder button. 2. Enter the chord fingering. 3. Read the name of the chord.
Attached picture Clipboard01.jpg
© PG Music Forums