PG Music Home
Posted By: Matt Finley Prevent editing on RealTrack notation - 06/26/19 03:52 PM
See this thread:

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=542872&gonew=1#UNREAD

John Ford suggested that the notation on RealTracks that have it should be read-only.

He’s right.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Prevent editing on RealTrack notation - 06/26/19 04:05 PM
Absolutely agree.
Has caused much confusion for many users.
+1
Posted By: jford Re: Prevent editing on RealTrack notation - 06/26/19 05:17 PM
+1

Thanks for posting this, Matt.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Prevent editing on RealTrack notation - 06/26/19 05:59 PM
Yes, this has caused a great deal of confusion over the years.

I suspect that blocking editing will just change the problem to something like... "I can't edit a Realtrack's notation. What am I doing wrong?"

With that in mind, I wonder if having a window pop-up that says, "Note: Realtracks are audio. Because of this this, Realtrack notation is not linked to play back. It is provided for educational use only."

For the general idea of finding away around this confusion, though...

Definitely +1
Yes, exactly. Look at John’s comment in that other thread; he suggested an explanatory message.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Prevent editing on RealTrack notation - 06/26/19 10:35 PM
+1 Making RealTrack and RealDrums midi notation read only is a great idea. Adding a clear explanation why the notation can not be edited can save much confusion so both parts are essential.

An interim solution can be to add a note at the top of each RealTracks and RealDrums memo window worded similar to below:

Caution: Changes to the RealTrack or RealDrum MIDI notation does not change RealTracks or RealDrums audio. Copy notation to a midi track for editing.

I suspect the text can be added by to all RealTracks and RealDrums with a batch file.

Description: RealTracks Memo
Attached picture Clipboard01.jpg
Posted By: MikeK Re: Prevent editing on RealTrack notation - 06/27/19 10:04 AM
+1
Posted By: MarioD Re: Prevent editing on RealTrack notation - 06/27/19 10:45 AM
I have one question, if you have RT's MIDI as a read only will that affect those who use that MIDI in their DAWs? I have taken some of the RT MIDIs, moved them to my DAW, and modified them to my heart's content. Will I be able to do that with a read only MIDI? Can you do a read only MIDI?

Would it be possible to have RT's MIDI read only while in BiaB/RB but still available for us to export to other DAW's as regular MIDI?

Unless I'm mistaken I can see some pluses but many minuses in this wish for MIDI users.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Prevent editing on RealTrack notation - 06/27/19 11:51 AM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
I have one question, if you have RT's MIDI as a read only will that affect those who use that MIDI in their DAWs? I have taken some of the RT MIDIs, moved them to my DAW, and modified them to my heart's content. Will I be able to do that with a read only MIDI? Can you do a read only MIDI?

Would it be possible to have RT's MIDI read only while in BiaB/RB but still available for us to export to other DAW's as regular MIDI?

Unless I'm mistaken I can see some pluses but many minuses in this wish for MIDI users.

Good points Mario. In my mind there is a difference between editing and copying. When you edit you're trying to modify existing data. You're deleting, cutting, adding and pasting. When you copying you're not modifying the existing data. Instead you're creating a duplicate of the data and moving the duplicate data into a new file. The new, midi only data file will not have the constraints of the original RealTracks created file.

It's sort of how you take a copy protected file, use the "save as" command to save a duplicate of the file under a new name and then work on the duplicate file.
Yes, I see your point, Mario. As usual, my hope is to point out a problem more than to specify the solution; I always assume PG Music will determine a solution better than I might.

If the data were read-only, an attempt at editing should produce the needed cautionary message. The message could also educate, describing that you can copy the data to an editable track and/or to your DAW.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Prevent editing on RealTrack notation - 06/27/19 04:10 PM
Thanx guys for your responses.

I do agree with the message alert. That sounds like a reasonable answer. Maybe PGMusic could add a warning on each RT Pak. Read me first are text files that could be easily add to each Pak and also on the purchase site(s)
Does anyone really read the Read Me First files?

I'm sorry that this is not a rhetorical question. It should be.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Prevent editing on RealTrack notation - 06/28/19 10:38 AM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Does anyone really read the Read Me First files?

I'm sorry that this is not a rhetorical question. It should be.

Yes, I do. Sometimes it contains critical information that helps with the install.
Posted By: jford Re: Prevent editing on RealTrack notation - 06/28/19 12:59 PM
I read that stuff, too, but I suspect I'm in the overwhelming minority. I remember old MS-DOS programs that used to have a compiled executable called Readme.exe. You just ran it, and it brought up a text viewer with the information.

But I also read the copyright page of the user manuals (and I still stay for all the credits at the end of movies), so what can I say.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Prevent editing on RealTrack notation - 06/28/19 08:00 PM
This may be better RealChart Midi Edit Changes RealTrack Audio
I see, Pipeline. Very interesting post! Wouldn't that be something.
© PG Music Forums