PG Music Home
Posted By: Blues1952 Drums - 07/14/19 12:34 PM
Time for my annual request.
1)Separate tracks for each drum.
2)An option for simpler fills.
3)Super Midi drums
Posted By: MarioD Re: Drums - 07/14/19 01:37 PM
+1 for super MIDI drums, i.e. drums with no quantization.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Drums - 07/14/19 07:21 PM
#3, yes, like Mario I love the Super MIDI drums and would like to see more.

#1, sure, if the RealDrums were recorded with separate mics on each part of the kit, that would be terrific to have. But I don't believe we know that answer.

#2, can't we do some of that now? There are a few things I can think of, such as selecting a simpler style with simpler groove variations, and using the Options, Preferences, Overrides to Force to Simple Arrangement. This is also in Song Settings. You can also right-click on a part marker and suppress a fill. I would be interested in more detail about this request, and then perhaps support it more.
Posted By: Don L Turner Re: Drums - 07/17/19 05:07 PM
plus 1
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Drums - 07/17/19 10:04 PM
Another +1
Posted By: rayc Re: Drums - 07/20/19 11:17 PM
#1 is almost essential.
EQing to address a hihat that is too aggressive for a given song is fraught with knock on effects as is addressing kick drum problems, (mainly the modern tendency to have more click than thwack), and so forth could be better addressed if drums were provided as individual tracks or, at least, stems, (OHs as a stereo stem, kick as a mono stem, top and bottom of snare as a stereo stem - allowing one or the other to be tweaked or muted before using it in mono - toms as a stereo stem etc).
I spend more time working on the drum sound than all of the otehr BIAB components combined.
It MAY help with the present set up of a single stereo drum track to have some idea of the recording technique.
Posted By: mrgeeze Re: Drums - 08/15/19 10:08 AM
+1
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Drums - 08/15/19 03:38 PM
#1 + 1

[img:center][/img]

smile
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Drums - 08/15/19 05:13 PM
Ooh, wouldn’t that be nice! A drum mixer.
Posted By: silvertones Re: Drums - 08/15/19 06:54 PM
+1
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Drums - 08/15/19 07:07 PM
Cool. Great layout. We can only hope.
Posted By: Teunis Re: Drums - 08/15/19 07:23 PM
Separate drum tracks would make BAIB truly wonderful. The main issues I find when mixing with Realtracks are the RealDrums. If the drums were split this would make mixing BIAB pretty much the same as mixing a band recorded in your own studio. It would also make drum replacement a doddle IMHO.

a big +1

Tony
Posted By: MikeK Re: Drums - 08/16/19 09:22 AM
+1 for sure!!!
Posted By: jford Re: Drums - 08/16/19 12:24 PM
I bet if they could get the drummers back in the studio, they could recreate even all the current RealDrums, with individual parts split out, in relatively short order (since for drums they don't have to worry about recording all the specific riffs and rhythms on every chord possibility. That would of course require writing an interface to do that mixing, but that might could be handled by say a VST plugin that reads a multitrack RD audio file, splits the parts, lets you mix and tweak, and then combine back to the stereo output (or whatever they think up). Definitely sounds doable.
Posted By: silvertones Re: Drums - 08/17/19 12:13 AM
I would be very surprised if they didn't record with separate mics originally. That would be sop recording for that period of time. They may no longer have the masters.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Drums - 08/17/19 05:27 AM
A multi-microphone setup is visible on at least several of the Video-Real-Tracks drums recordings.

Attached picture 2019-08-17_18-26-40.jpg
Posted By: rayc Re: Drums - 10/07/19 03:22 AM
I'm sure that the original sessions were recorded to multi track then mixed.
For my purposes those multitracks could be split to kick, snare, toms & Overheads.
Now I know, from experience, that mixing a multitracked kit is hard work and fraught with all sorts of danger for the unwary but having the option to, at least, EQ the kick and snare would mean that RealDrums would become far more useful.
Seriously, RealDrums is a better program/facility than EZDrtummer and any drum program out there - I've even had excellent drummers comment on the quality and sound of the thing - but if I'm stuck with a clicky kick inside a decent kit for a blues track I'll have to do a hell of a lot of tweaking to correct the one issue and create a bundle more while I'm at it.
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: Drums - 10/09/19 09:19 PM
Peter already said he has all the multitracks for the RD's.

The question is how to implement that given that Biab only has one drum track. It would have to be some sort of separate drum mixer that goes to a stereo track that then goes to the drum track? With multiple RT's as separate files playing at the same time for us to be able to decide on the final mix I don't know how that would work as far as generation times is concerned. Maybe the drum mixer could be a VST that doesn't need to be regenerated every time we hit play? Once we had the mix, then put it on the drum track and freeze it? Just guessing. I can see it getting complex but it would be very cool to have.

As for super midi drums those would be great but concerning quantizing, Peter has also said recently that never happened from day one. No quantizing. Drums were always played live by using early controllers then later styles were done using midi drum kits. You could find good midi drums track styles and put them into RB where they can be easily separated out and then use a good drum module to play them.

Bob
Posted By: Dave Re: Drums - 10/10/19 09:16 AM
Where are the supermidi drums? I haven't seen them in the list I get. I get strings, synths, piano etc., but no drums.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Drums - 10/10/19 11:02 AM
Originally Posted By: Dave
Where are the supermidi drums? I haven't seen them in the list I get. I get strings, synths, piano etc., but no drums.

There are no supermidi drums, yet. If you want supermidi, which really means no quantization, you would need to get some MIDI drum loops like from GrooveMonkee, www.groovemonkee.com/

Of course you would need a sound source. There are many good drum sounds available, some free and some to purchase.

Note that drums is one instrument that MIDI does extremely well.
Posted By: Dave Re: Drums - 10/10/19 11:30 AM
guess I was missing something
Matt said earlier in the thread "#3, yes, like Mario I love the Super MIDI drums and would like to see more." This seems to imply they already exist.

I am easily mislead.
Posted By: Masi Re: Drums - 12/27/19 01:57 PM
But would't the original recordings have all the issues that makes mixing them for anyone who is not a pro audio engineer tricky, like bleed and phase issues because of multi-micing?

OTOH, if you asked for it you must know what you're doing.

Masi
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Drums - 12/27/19 04:08 PM
Originally Posted By: Dave
guess I was missing something
Matt said earlier in the thread "#3, yes, like Mario I love the Super MIDI drums and would like to see more." This seems to imply they already exist.

I am easily mislead.
No, you are correct! I mistook MIDI Super Tracks for Super MIDI Drums. My mistake, and my apologies for almost confusing you.

The thrust of the thread is for MIDI unquantized live-playing drums. Mario has it right. +1
© PG Music Forums