PG Music Home
Currently using the 4 bar preview in the Stylepicker, the command defaults to play the first 4 bars of the Chord Chart. (1-4)

This is good and it's easy to overwrite these first four measures and get an idea how my song will sound with the current selected style using different chord progressions from various parts of my song. However, I think it would be useful to allow the user to select different 4 bar sections to audition because a verse, chorus or bridge and even a modulation in a song can sound quite different when many times the first 4 bars are an intro that's different from the remainder of the song.

Currently bars 1-4 play by default and that should remain the same but if possible, have the Stylepicker recognize if the user has set a different four bar section to something other than bars 1-4 and play that selection during a styles audition and would allow the user to audition a style in different areas of the song.

Attached picture Capture Screen.JPG
+1

One way this idea could be implemented would be to use the "Play Selected Loop" button or F10 key on the computer keyboard to use highlighted bars for the preview instead of the first four bars.

Both the "Play Selected Loop" button and F10 on the computer keyboard toggle continuous loop playback of highlighted bars. Mating the loop feature and 4 bar style preview feature together would be an intuitive way to implement the suggestion. When the 4 bar preview function is enabled, bars are highlighted and the loop function is enabled then the highlighted bars are previewed. When the 4 bar preview function is enabled but no bars are highlighted and the loop function is not enabled then the first four bars are previewed.
+1
Another vote of support.
+1
+1

How about any number of bars -->Jim, why selected "loop"? Can the workflow be this:
Select bars you want to "preview", go to style picker and have a button there "preview selected bars", let it "loop" if needed internally and then release the "loop" when you exit or select desired style. No extra mousing for end user.
Great Idea!
+1
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
+1

How about any number of bars -->Jim, why selected "loop"? Can the workflow be this:
Select bars you want to "preview", go to style picker and have a button there "preview selected bars", let it "loop" if needed internally and then release the "loop" when you exit or select desired style. No extra mousing for end user.

I like your idea. To answer your question I see selecting the loop checkbox as a way to inform the program that the user wants to use the custom preview feature (preview using the highlighted chord sheet bars)instead of the standard preview of the first four bars of the song project.

One issue I've seen users bring up in the forum is how long it takes to regenerate. Keeping the preview feature at four bars minimizes the risk of complaints about preview regeneration.
Jim,
well, I think it should be a user "choice" how long the preview is. I mean, we know how long it takes to generate 4 bars for preview, so I am guessing that "selected" 12 bars would take 3 times longer. The reason, (if it ever comes to life) to have preview "selection" is that I can see beneficial previewing 4 bars plus transition / break. And I think selecting a region is more user friendly than remembering numbers.
Misha,

Thank you for the additional clarification. It helped me to understand your point of view. Should PG Music implement as you desire, as I desire or choose an entirely different path that accomplishes the same goal, I'll be happy.
© PG Music Forums