PG Music Home
Posted By: Island Soul Fermata Please - 12/04/19 01:36 PM
I would just like to see a minor upgrade that includes the ability to insert a fermata in a measure of a song.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Fermata Please - 12/04/19 01:39 PM
+1

The closest you can come now is to F5 and slow the tempo.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Fermata Please - 12/04/19 04:03 PM
Another +1
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Fermata Please - 12/04/19 04:31 PM
A question for clarification of the suggestion.

Wikipedia defines a Fermata as
Quote:
a symbol of musical notation indicating that the note should be prolonged beyond the normal duration its note value would indicate. Exactly how much longer it is held is up to the discretion of the performer or conductor.

How should the program interpret the symbol? Should the program try to interpret the symbol or print the symbol without interpretation?
Posted By: jford Re: Fermata Please - 12/04/19 05:26 PM
Are you asking for the ability to automatically prolong a held chord as it plays back, or the ability to display a fermata in the notation, or both?
Posted By: Island Soul Re: Fermata Please - 12/05/19 02:12 PM
Originally Posted By: jford
Are you asking for the ability to automatically prolong a held chord as it plays back, or the ability to display a fermata in the notation, or both?

I'm talking about the ability to prolong a held chord. I know I can type in the chord followed by three dots to hold the chord, but I would like to have it hold for longer than a quarter note.
Posted By: Island Soul Re: Fermata Please - 12/05/19 02:24 PM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
+1

The closest you can come now is to F5 and slow the tempo.

Hi Matt,
Unfortunately, Band in a Box does not let me slow the tempo of a beat within a measure, which is what I think the fermata function would end up being.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Fermata Please - 12/05/19 03:37 PM
OK, good, now you have better defined what you are asking for.
Posted By: jford Re: Fermata Please - 12/05/19 05:48 PM
Here's what I would try...

Assuming the Fermat is in beat three, I would make the measure 2 beats long, and then have the hold chord in the next bar (changing that bar back to 4/4) and also changing the tempo of that bear to something slower (or just span the hold over multiple bars). Then pick up the next measure with the correct tempo. It won't look right in notation, but should sound right.
Posted By: goofeyfoot Re: Fermata Please - 01/15/21 07:36 PM
John:

Can you elaborate a little bit on what you’re suggesting? I’m trying to get a fermata too and I can’t do it for the life of me.

Thanks.

Michael
Posted By: MarioD Re: Fermata Please - 01/15/21 08:14 PM
This picture shows it much better than I can explain it:

Attached picture Fermata.jpg
Posted By: goofeyfoot Re: Fermata Please - 01/15/21 08:43 PM
I guess the problem that I am having is this. I have real tracks in the song. If I do what you say the real track player seems to go crazy. I guess that’s inevitable though, right?

Thanks.

Michael
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Fermata Please - 01/15/21 10:44 PM
Originally Posted By: goofeyfoot
I guess the problem that I am having is this. I have real tracks in the song. If I do what you say the real track player seems to go crazy. I guess that’s inevitable though, right?

Thanks.

Michael

RealTracks are pre-recorded musical phrases usually several bars long. They are audio. Some have notation which has been transcribed from the audio performance. Changing the notation probably won't change the performance of the pre-recorded audio.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Fermata Please - 03/31/21 02:47 AM
Two possible suggestions.
Take the MP3 audio file into an Audio Editor and attenuate the unwanted hit (Audacity could be used, or BiaB's internal Audio)

Change the drum kit style on the RealDrums to a different type and regenerate.
© PG Music Forums