PG Music Home
Hi all, this is my first post and I would like to share the email I sent to the developers – hopefully. If anyone can solve this I would appreciate it very much. Thanks.

To whom it may concern,

I cannot say enough good things about the great 'Band in a Box.' I hope to work with it for many more years. However, I do have one caveat concerning the INPUT OF CHORDS.

I fully understand the correct theory of naming chords (sharps and flats), according to their key signature.

As a jazz musician, this is unmanageable. There are very few scores that stay strictly within a key signature. Most tunes are outside of the key-within the music. My sensibility stems from the ever-changing cycles in jazz songs and other modern genres. If I write Ab, it’s frustrating to see G#; and when I type F#, it's unsettling seeing Gb instead. My worthy constituents solemnly agree.

If there is a way to keep the same chords as I type them in, please let me know. If not, can you kindly address this issue and perhaps provide a patch to correct it. I would appreciate your consideration in this matter, and I thank you in advance, for a thoughtful reply.

Sincerely,
Frank Mileti
Welcome to the forum, Frank.

I do recall having this problem years ago, but just now I tried various key signatures and my BIAB 2020 accepted Gb and F# entries, preserving each in my song, no matter what the key signature.

1. Could you tell us, what version of BIAB are you using, and is it for Windows or Mac?
2. Are you using any upper extensions on your chords?
3. Just making sure, we are talking about typing the chord into the chordsheet, and not some other form of data entry, like the Chord Builder?
4. Could you give us the exact steps you are taking, so we can duplicate the test?

Another possibility: when BIAB is not doing what you know it should, do Options, Return to Factory Settings and test again. You will first have a chance to save your settings in case you have made many adjustments to the defaults.

Thanks for responding to my question, Matt, about inputting chords. I have the latest version for Mac 2019. I’m assuming you are using Windows. Yes I do use extensions on my chords and never triads. I am hoping they will address this minor frustration. I envy you for being able to keep the chords you type, as is, in the chord sheet. I have been using Band In A Box for over 20 years and I do not recall having this problem before I upgraded. Please inform me if you hear about a ‘fix.’ And thanks again. I look forward to hearing from you again.
Frank
I have a Mac I can test this on. Give me a few days as it’s in another location.
Check for a PM.

EDIT: you're over your limit.?
If you really do have 300 private messages, erase a few. Otherwise, send me one. I have results for you.
© PG Music Forums