PG Music Home
Posted By: Mike02392 'Clip' ends of solos - 03/29/20 06:02 PM
Hi

In BiaB I often generate solos to fill out the middle choruses of songs, and, due to the nature of soloing, a lot of solo phrases start on the "and" of 4, which is great generally, but not when it's the last bar of a solo and the melody is about to come in -- it's jarring and distracting and I often re-generate the entire solo to avoid it.

Is there a way we could have an option to 'clip' a solo segment so that we can cut these anticipated notes? Perhaps a simple check-box feature in the bar settings which would mute the solo, say, 1 beat early.

(I know there are a couple of workarounds including exporting to RealBand, but the above would be a big time-saver)

Many thanks!
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: 'Clip' ends of solos - 03/29/20 06:49 PM
Well described, and a worthwhile feature.
+1
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: 'Clip' ends of solos - 04/28/20 01:44 PM
Originally Posted By: Mike02392
Hi

In BiaB I often generate solos to fill out the middle choruses of songs, and, due to the nature of soloing, a lot of solo phrases start on the "and" of 4, which is great generally, but not when it's the last bar of a solo and the melody is about to come in -- it's jarring and distracting and I often re-generate the entire solo to avoid it.

Is there a way we could have an option to 'clip' a solo segment so that we can cut these anticipated notes? Perhaps a simple check-box feature in the bar settings which would mute the solo, say, 1 beat early.

(I know there are a couple of workarounds including exporting to RealBand, but the above would be a big time-saver)

Many thanks!

The way I'm understanding your wishlist request is for example you program a RealTrack soloist to play bars 5 - 8 but on the "and of beat 4 in bar 8, the soloist begins a new phrase that will play into bar 9 and the melody is beginning to play at bar 9. But muting the soloist at bar 9 ruins the ending phase abruptly and also interferes with the incoming melody line.

If my understanding is correct, there's a check-box feature in the Bar Settings of BIAB to tell the soloist to end the solo on bar 8 smoothly so bar 9 is clear for the melody. BIAB can be told to end a solo smoothly or to transition with another RealTrack instrument smoothly.
Posted By: Mike02392 Re: 'Clip' ends of solos - 05/01/20 05:36 PM
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle

The way I'm understanding your wishlist request is for example you program a RealTrack soloist to play bars 5 - 8 but on the "and of beat 4 in bar 8, the soloist begins a new phrase that will play into bar 9 and the melody is beginning to play at bar 9. But muting the soloist at bar 9 ruins the ending phase abruptly and also interferes with the incoming melody line.

If my understanding is correct, there's a check-box feature in the Bar Settings of BIAB to tell the soloist to end the solo on bar 8 smoothly so bar 9 is clear for the melody. BIAB can be told to end a solo smoothly or to transition with another RealTrack instrument smoothly.

This sounds perfect! I can't find the check box in the Bar Settings, though. Could you let me know how to find it?
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: 'Clip' ends of solos - 05/01/20 11:28 PM
<<< "This sounds perfect! I can't find the check box in the Bar Settings, though. Could you let me know how to find it?" >>>

The Button in the Bar Settings Menu is near the top - RealTracks

To have a smooth soloist ending do the following:

For Example: You want an 8 bar RealTrack instrument to solo for bars 9 - 16

. for a smooth ending at the end of the solo: Bar 17, open bar settings (F5)
. Select the RealTracks Button and select the track your soloist is on.
. Select Silence as the 'RealTrack' to replace your soloist.
. Okay out of all open windows
. Regenerate the soloist track

The BIAB algorithm will read ahead as the soloist plays, see the 'instrument' change and select an audio clip that anticipates the transition and create a smooth soloist ending.

Attached picture Bar Settings Capture.JPG
Attached picture RealTrack Changes Capture.JPG
Attached picture Silence Capture.JPG
Posted By: cwiggins999 Re: 'Clip' ends of solos - 05/15/20 08:29 PM
I stumbled onto this post while trying to get around an issue with a soloist - in this case 1060, Eric Marienthal's soprano sax. In my case I want this solo to play at half time, as it was recorded at 65 BPM and sounds great in my 140BPM bossa nova arrangement. I found what Charlie mentioned above works fine in normal timing. But when I switch to half-time, it's not honoring the bar changes - the solo just keeps playing thru. I also have been trying to get half-time to work with the "Generate and Play" soloist dialog, where you can set fill percentage, etc. There's no way to set half-time from that dialog that I can find. Any experience with this aspect or solution suggestions?
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: 'Clip' ends of solos - 05/15/20 08:56 PM
Originally Posted By: cwiggins999
I stumbled onto this post while trying to get around an issue with a soloist - in this case 1060, Eric Marienthal's soprano sax. In my case I want this solo to play at half time, as it was recorded at 65 BPM and sounds great in my 140BPM bossa nova arrangement. I found what Charlie mentioned above works fine in normal timing. But when I switch to half-time, it's not honoring the bar changes - the solo just keeps playing thru. I also have been trying to get half-time to work with the "Generate and Play" soloist dialog, where you can set fill percentage, etc. There's no way to set half-time from that dialog that I can find. Any experience with this aspect or solution suggestions?

I tested and have the same issue. I'll report to PG Music staff. It did not matter what the change instrument was, it didn't honor the change instrument. Using Bar settings to mute and unmute did work but in my test, the transition was abrupt and not musical...
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: 'Clip' ends of solos - 05/15/20 09:06 PM
Cwiggins, check back with your original thread.
Posted By: cwiggins999 Re: 'Clip' ends of solos - 05/16/20 01:04 AM
Unfortunately that didn't work - was one of the things I had tried before my original post.
© PG Music Forums