PG Music Home
For so many cases of troubleshooting - adding logging code for debugging proves so useful to help isolate where the problem is occurring or the circumstances in which the bug presents itself - such a logging system is essential and really helps. Logging facilities (where users/testers can turn on logging and then - in some user friendly manner - easily submit text file logs back to PG devs ) would benefit ALL of the apps and background daemons etc - that are part of BIAB.

For example recently I helpedOSX developers Rogue Amoeba track down a bug in one of their real-time audio apps LoopBack. As soon as I was told how to turn on logging in LoopBack and sent the logs back to Rogue Amoeba - the developers were able to fix the bug I had found - in a couple of days.

What would the logging do? well for example - in BIAB standalone - if one could turn on a logging feature where every menu, keyboard, context menu and button-command action was logged - this would provide a huge useful tool to recreating the circumstances in which a rare bug occurs and can save a lot of time.

Believe me I vouch for thisbenefit of comprehensive logging - both for internal code AND user actions ( as would any developer worth their salt ) in software I’ve written myself over the last 40 + decades !
Hi nonchai!

I believe logging is possible in Band-in-a-Box. I am going to check with the Devs to find out more, but I did notice a process for creating a bootup log in some emails with another user.

With Band-in-a-Box closed, you can create a new text file which you'll call "writebootuplog.txt" in your Band-in-a-Box\Data folder.

Next, launch Band-in-a-Box. This will create a fill called "bootuplog.txt" in your Data folder.

I assume there might be other log commands possible besides a bootup log, I'll send a message around and get back to you once I hear back.

Cheers
I think this is an excellent suggestion. It does of course require more than just the Boot Log information, which only includes the program start sequences. Several different diagnostics could be included, with a mechanism to turn one or more of them on/off. This way, diagnostics relating to a specific feature only could be enabled.
+1

If I had this last week, it might have saved me a lot of aggravation.
This could save a lot of time so
+1
© PG Music Forums