PG Music Home
There's a fair amount of jazz in 5/4, so I'm a little surprised there isn't anything in 5/4 yet RealTrack-wise. Could this please be added with the next update??
Definitely a BIG +1
Big! At this moment Band in a Box doesn’t know anything beyond 4/4. That’s sad, because jazz today is full of 7, 9, 11, 13 over 4 or 8.

Would be great for learning to play over different time signatures. This has been on the wishlist for years now. I hope, one day...

+1

I made some styles in 7 and 5 and it’s totally possible. Thing is, your notation and chord screen looks like 4/4. Difficult to notate a melody, but it’s doable.
MrPC in 7/4
It helps me learn new rhythmic stuff, but with a few downsides.
Thanks for sharing that Dzjang - your track sounds decent! I'll give that a go and see what results I can get. I'm personally not too worried about the notation as I use Sibelius to write all my sheet music.

However, it would still be great if PG Music could give us one or two RealStyles in 5/4 (and other unusual time sigs if possible).
Related:
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=592551#Post592551
@Mike

The trick is: you make a midifile in Realband (max two chords per bar) in 5/4 (example)

-Set the meter, 5/4
-Type in the chords, max 2chords per bar
-Make a piano track where you play the chords at the start of each bar or chord change (in5/4, of course). In root position, including sevenths and extensions, just as you wrote them. Band in a Box needs that to interpret your bass part and other parts you may add. It’s crucial that they land perfectly on time, quantize if necessary.
-Record a bass line on ch. 2
-Add drums on ch. 10
-Add markers A and B
- Go to Edit, Midi, change length of midi (be sure to select all tracks first) and shrink the 5/4 into 4/4, this means new length is 75%
-Change meter to 4/4 and check if the whole track is in “4/4” now. This means that every bar a new 5/4 bar starts.
-Go to Edit, Midi, Rechannel all...
-Save as midi

Now you open band in a box, style wizard, import midi, tick “jazz” and all the rest will already be correct, mostly.

Give it an 8bit name (no more than 8 characters).

Add this style to any song with max two chords per bar. Check how everything looks like 4/4 but plays 5/4 quite nicely.

There is much more to style making, and it can be really frustrating at times, It’s time consuming, but it’s definitely worth it.

Njoy!

P.S. there should be ways to do this with Realtracks, but you’d have to play all possible chords on all possible instruments... not an easy thing
Originally Posted By: Mike02392
. I'm personally not too worried about the notation as I use Sibelius to write all my sheet music.

You make an important point, imo.
Accompaniment software should really use Sib, Finale, Musicxml, Musescore as the source. And play the score with extra chords and drums and bass. That way you would always have a great score. And if you change anything, you do it in the best possible software.
© PG Music Forums