PG Music Home
Posted By: Charles Hartman ritard - 12/05/09 08:11 PM
Sorry if this has been said before:

Aside from wanting (like everybody) the Hold option to work with RealTracks (as I'm sure they will soon), for years I've want ritardando endings. It gets complicated, of course: we'd have to be able to specify final tempo (or, better, percentage of current tempo), and preferably also the "curve" of the ritard. But it would be a big help for ballads. Combined with Holds, you could have something like fermatas in a cadenza ending.
Posted By: Mac Re: ritard - 12/05/09 09:49 PM
+1,234

And thank you for spelling the term correctly!

Might be a first for this wishlist.

The spelling, I mean, not the request...
Posted By: maiki Re: ritard - 12/20/09 04:57 AM
I second that.

Quote:

Sorry if this has been said before:

Aside from wanting (like everybody) the Hold option to work with RealTracks (as I'm sure they will soon), for years I've want ritardando endings. It gets complicated, of course: we'd have to be able to specify final tempo (or, better, percentage of current tempo), and preferably also the "curve" of the ritard. But it would be a big help for ballads. Combined with Holds, you could have something like fermatas in a cadenza ending.

Posted By: Mac Re: ritard - 12/20/09 01:28 PM
The ability to Ritard has actually been there for some time, check out the Bar Settings window and the ability to change tempo by the bar in your choice of BPM or Percentage of Tempo Change.

With the release of the new BB2010, Shots and Holds for RealTracks are now supported, too.

--Mac
Posted By: Charles Hartman Re: ritard - 12/20/09 10:07 PM
I'm sorry, but that isn't a ritard at all. In a ballad (for example), suddenly cutting the tempo by 50% just sounds silly. Cutting by 20% in one bar, another 20% in the next, another 20% in the next, etc, makes for a very long ritard--and it still hasn't abrupt shifts in it that don't give the feel of a rhythm section slowing to a close. You might get away with it in an up-tempo piece with a long series of small-step changes, but that's almost never what a band actually does.

What we need is in lots of DAWs: you select a section, specify starting and ending tempos, and in many cases choose a flat or upward- or downward-inflected curve for the change. Nothing else will produce that live feel.
Posted By: Mac Re: ritard - 12/20/09 10:27 PM
I agree, and having a true automated Ritard single command would be ideal.

However, with a calculator and a wee bit of thought, I have found that I can indeed create "true" Ritardondos.

I don't like the percentage entry for doing that, though, I like to work "in the real" and calculate using BPM changes.

Only thing it can NOT accomplish is tempo change within each bar, and that may be a problem with ritard in a slower tempo. But how often do you actually Ritard a Ballad?

Automated Ritardondo with selectable curves would be a great addition!

--Mac
Posted By: maiki Re: ritard - 03/02/10 06:17 PM
I second (or third ;-) ) that request.

Just as in Sonar (actually dating way back to pre-Sonar Cakewalk days), one can "insert a series of tempos"---by specifying starting and ending time, and starting and ending tempo, and the frequency of change (every beat, every half beat, etc.), and get a ritardando.

We should have that in BIAB too, and it should work for RTs and RDs as well.
© PG Music Forums